Which Break In Method For You? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Break In Method For You?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I bought mine from a dealer in Maryland---so my "break in" was 350 miles of I-95. You don't have to be a math professor to figure out what I did (and that was just to stay alive to get home)
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Of all the new Goldwings and new owners everyone's broken in differently and they all seen to last forever. But I also listen to what my dearer told me.
    Just ride and smile.🏍🏍🤓😍🤗😎

Break in period, Whats That

I will tell you, the break in period is 5 second in first gear and after that you ride it like you stole it and the cops are chasing you. I have done the break in on every motorcycle I have owned in that fashion and not one has failed or start burning oil. You do what you like but if its going to break it will do it immediately not after the warranty runs out. Never had a problem and this is the 8th motorcycle I have owned.

Dont they run these engines up at the factory, when they are tuning them and checking them?

Tolerances are rumored to be right on modern day engines, that I think most of the scuffing/seating/mating of surfaces has already been done...?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

At the beginning I just took it easy and didn't hammer it. At 1,000 miles I took it in to the dealer for the first oil change to synthetic, and have ridden it a bit more aggressively ever since

Should be up for the 4,000 mile service in about 3 weeks

This is my opinion only

The dealer is out to make money. The manufacturer doesn't want warranty issues. I'll listen to the manufacturer.

I did my first oil change at 2,900 miles, ahead of manufacturer interval, and I'll do my changes around 7,000, ahead of the interval. All documented. Any problems from that and the manufacturer has an issue.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

There is another Myth

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    Thats pretty much what my dealer recommended and I did that on both of my new Wings. I am guessing you would really have to abuse them to make a significant negative impact on them. I do 1000 mile oil changes on my new stuff just in case there is some left over casting sand, etc. The dealer was quite adamant that I not switch to full synthetic until 4000 miles in order that everything can wear in properly.
    You can go to full synthetic right from the git go as these bikes these days are so close to tolerances that it really doesn't matter. Any oil expert will tell you the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    You can go to full synthetic right from the git go as these bikes these days are so close to tolerances that it really doesn't matter. Any oil expert will tell you the same thing.
    my dealer recommended coming in at 1,000 and going synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    Thats pretty much what my dealer recommended and I did that on both of my new Wings. I am guessing you would really have to abuse them to make a significant negative impact on them. I do 1000 mile oil changes on my new stuff just in case there is some left over casting sand, etc. The dealer was quite adamant that I not switch to full synthetic until 4000 miles in order that everything can wear in properly.
    Dave, I highly respect your opinions, but I'm not sure about that 4000 mile till full synthetic one. Don't Corvettes and many other performance cars come right from the factory with full synthetic? My Subaru Forester even came with full synthetic.

Hoping you're loving the new Wing!
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

shooter
    You're right Wiggy. Engines are built with such tight and precise tolerances that a lot of engines come with synthetic as a factory fill. Years ago manufacturers used to recommend 1000 miles before switching over. I changed my B over to Mobil 1 at 500 miles. Same on my 109.