BMW Concept 6 cylinder bagger targets F6B - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BMW Concept 6 cylinder bagger targets F6B

I have a few bad experiences with BMW--and I never owned one

What told me that I will never own a BMW was a trip to western NC back in 2007,. It was a group of 5 of us and 3 were on BMWs and 2 of them broke down--both on the first day. One had an electrical problem and just bought a new battery and got thru the weekend. The other was a tour bike (don't know the model but it looked like a spaceship) that had a leaking seal in the rear end. We literally spent a complete Thursday afternoon trying to find somebody or a dealership to work on this thing--killed 2 cell phone batteries in the motel parking lot trying to find help. We called every shop and dealer within 100 miles. Ended up putting it on a trailer and hauling it 4 hours to Raleigh and he rented a Harley for the weekend. The parts took a month to get and install and the bill was well over a grand. I got my education at his expense.

I rode it on the way for about 100 miles on I-40 and it was a great riding motorcycle with lots of power and I loved the electric windshield. Depending on where you live and what dealer is close by, your misery may be less.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by yellow rex View Post
    bigdawg I never found a speed the F6 did not like what was that speed for you?
    I have been in triple digits for 3 or 4 miles at a time no trouble with trailer in toe.
    The comfortable RELAXED cruising speed for me on the f6b is up to 85 mph. It is electronically limited to 124 mph, so of course you are correct it can go into the triple digits easily, but I'm looking for a 6th gear after 85 mph for relaxed cruising. The BMW already has a 6th gear and I shift to it at around 80-85 mph and it is a tall gear. Just a few stats for the curious:
    F6B 850 lbs, 118 HP, 123 torque, 11.84 1/4 mile at 110.97 mph and an electronically limited top speed of 124 mph.
    BMW 650 lbs, 160 HP, 130 torque, 10.89 1/4 mile at 122.13 mph and a non limited top speed of 155 mph.

This is for a 2011, but is quite a bit heavier than 650 lbs.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...00gtl%2011.htm
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    This is for a 2011, but is quite a bit heavier than 650 lbs.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...00gtl%2011.htm
    That is a k1600 GTL. NOT a GT. That is more comparable to the full Goldwing. I was giving specs on the F6B and the GT, but can give a similar comparison for the GTL and full Goldwing if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I kinda like it!
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    That is a k1600 GTL. NOT a GT. That is more comparable to the full Goldwing. I was giving specs on the F6B and the GT, but can give a similar comparison for the GTL and full Goldwing if you want.
    Maybe you were, but you did not say or specify "GT" in your earlier posts.

This is for a 2014 "GT" and wet weight is stated at 732 lbs wet, which the F6B does come in at 842 wet.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar160865.html
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Maybe you were, but you did not say or specify "GT" in your earlier posts.

This is for a 2014 "GT" and wet weight is stated at 732 lbs wet, which the F6B does come in at 842 wet.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar160865.html
    For my money, the specs that mean the most to ME are the 160 HP, the 129 torque, and the almost 1-second faster 1/4 mile time.

Nevertheless, I don't find ANY numbers worth taking on a maintenance headache.

I actually liked the direction of the concept.... big front wheel, and bold styling with that killer engine. Those new renders barely look different than the current BMW lineup.

At first glance that is a good looking bike. My father in-law has 3 different BMW's and I would not own any of them. It was brought up that dealers are few and far between, which is the same reason that I got rid of my Triumph. Pound for pound the F6B is hard o beat. If your gripe is the windshield don't buy a Bagger, buy a Wing!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    Well if you want to compare apples to apples a ZX14 with bags is the same seating position and is actually a very comfortable sport tourer. You can lop off about 100 lbs and 2 seconds in that quarter mile time and add about 40 HP. All for a whole lot less money. BMW don't make a bike that compares to the B. Its unique. I've ridden my sons ZX14 many times and that BMW comes up short in every category.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Well if you want to compare apples to apples a ZX14 with bags is the same seating position and is actually a very comfortable sport tourer. You can lop off about 100 lbs and 2 seconds in that quarter mile time and add about 40 HP. All for a whole lot less money. BMW don't make a bike that compares to the B. Its unique. I've ridden my sons ZX14 many times and that BMW comes up short in every category.
    Yup, ZX14 is a incredible beast of a comfortable machine.

Reliable too.