BMW Concept 6 cylinder bagger targets F6B - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BMW Concept 6 cylinder bagger targets F6B

There it is

I guess I'll have to answer my own question ...

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Okay, I am too lazy to do the research. Since you mentioned the BMW has a 6th speed, it would be interesting to know what the RPM's are compared to the F6 in top gear. Anyone know?

I am going to guess that they are real close and if anything, the BMW is actually higher. But, I am a crappy guesser ...
    So a quick google search showed the K1600GT pulling about 2900 rpms at 60mph in top gear. I believe our 1800's are around 2600 at 60 mph. Don't know if that is a fact, just what a quick searched found.

What's the point? This is in reference to someone claiming the BMW was a more relaxed ride at cruising speeds due to the 6th gear. When actually our F6 is at a more relaxed rpm at cruising speeds, and with less shifting! We don't need no stinkin' 6th gear.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    There it is
    Pretty lil' gal.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    So a quick google search showed the K1600GT pulling about 2900 rpms at 60mph in top gear. I believe our 1800's are around 2600 at 60 mph. Don't know if that is a fact, just what a quick searched found.

What's the point? This is in reference to someone claiming the BMW was a more relaxed ride at cruising speeds due to the 6th gear. When actually our F6 is at a more relaxed rpm at cruising speeds, and with less shifting! We don't need no stinkin' 6th gear.
    I don't know if those are accurate figures or not, but regardless wouldn't determine which bike feels more relaxed at a given rpm. It depends on the bike. For example, if you are riding a sport bike in top gear at 7000 rpms and it redlines at 12000 rpms, then it will feel pretty relaxed. If you are riding a cruiser like the F6B in top gear at 6000 rpms and it redlines at 6000 rpms then it does not feel relaxed at all. The k1600 gt redlines at 8500 rpms and feels more relaxed at higher rpms than the F6B that redlines at 6000 rpms. FYI, they are both fantastic bikes and I enjoy different things about them, but if I were forced to get rid of one I would keep the F6B.

I still prefer the looks of the F6B and can you imagine the cost of the BM.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Pretty lil' gal.
    They weren't much off the line, kind of a slug, but something happened to it from 2nd to 3rd gear and it was a rocketship after that.

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    I still prefer the looks of the F6B and can you imagine the cost of the BM.

Chris
    All mine are free, save for a couple of sheets of Charmin......
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I personally like the looks and the specs. of the BMW concept bike. I would have to sit on and ride the bike to see if the ergonomics are to my liking. Ergonomics are 10 times more important than power.

Concept 101= F6B

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    +1, the new rendering looks like their existing bikes, not like the concept.
    I agree--the new rendering looks like my K1600GT since I cut down the windscreen, but I prefer the original concept, which is much closer to my F6B (which also has a short oem screen). They are both great bikes but the conceptualized one would have gotten me to trade both of my 6's...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    I don't know if those are accurate figures or not, but regardless wouldn't determine which bike feels more relaxed at a given rpm. It depends on the bike. For example, if you are riding a sport bike in top gear at 7000 rpms and it redlines at 12000 rpms, then it will feel pretty relaxed. If you are riding a cruiser like the F6B in top gear at 6000 rpms and it redlines at 6000 rpms then it does not feel relaxed at all. The k1600 gt redlines at 8500 rpms and feels more relaxed at higher rpms than the F6B that redlines at 6000 rpms. FYI, they are both fantastic bikes and I enjoy different things about them, but if I were forced to get rid of one I would keep the F6B.
    I agree that the engine may be more relaxed due to running at a lower percentage of max redline rpm.

But from a riders point of view, more relaxed is a lower rpm, period. It's when an engine starts sound too busy that we want another gear.

Guys coming from twins feel the six is "busy", even a the same rpm.

My KZ1300 would run at 4000 rpm at 72mph. With a redline of 8500, that was pretty high/busy. I'm happy with the gl1800's lower rpm even though it is a similar percentage.
    Albuquerque, NM