Grand Teton, Yellowstone, WY, MT advice needed - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grand Teton, Yellowstone, WY, MT advice needed

Beartooth Pass, Redlodge, Custer Battlefield, drop into Sheridan, Chadron and your almost home.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Necanefan View Post
    As of today, Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park is not yet open for the season. If it is not open before I leave on my trip on Friday, I need to make a back up plan for a couple of days. I've heard good things about Lolo Pass. Has anyone ridden this? Would you suggest a different ride in the WY/ID/MT area?
    I would very much recommend Lolo Pass!!! I've had the opportunity to ride it both ways.

If you run all the way into Lewiston, check out the Old Spiral Highway!
    https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=o...ay+lewiston+id
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/18....vHcW3kkJ.dpbs

Lolo is a beautiful ride. Saw wolves last time.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I've ridden Lolo a few times. Definitely worth the ride if you're in the area but not jaw-dropping scenic like Beartooth or Going to the Sun as it doesn't come close to the same elevation as those mountain passes (I believe Lolo is in the 5,000+ft. range.). I'd say it's not a "destination" road like Beartooth or Going to the Sun but definitely worth seeking out if you're nearby. On the Lolo you're in the forest but riding alongside a beautiful meandering river for a large part of the ride. A constant parade of good sweepers. Not any services on this road at all but there is a U.S. Forest Service visitor centre near the summit. The pic (sign says it all) from a couple years ago was taken at the start of highway on Idaho side of the pass. Lots of forest fire smoke in the air at the time. One word of caution. One of our fellow members on this board went down on Lolo Pass due to sand/loose gravel in a corner. Wrote off his F6B. I've also hit loose gravel from top coating in corners on mountain roads in Idaho and had the rear end of my bike (VTX at the time) kick out unexpectedly. Others may know better than me but locals told our riding group that Idaho state budget cutbacks have decreased the amount of road maintenance that's taking place. Probably true of a lot of other places too.

1,000 miles into the trip

Attachment 21593Attachment 21592

I left Omaha Friday afternoon and made it to Laramie, WY Friday night. The bike showed 104 degrees riding across Nebraska. Not sure how close that is to reality, but it was HOT. Saturday morning I headed into the Snowy Range of Medicine Bow National Forest. Wow. Amazing ride! I put another relaxing 500 miles on today and have stopped in Dubois, WY for the night and to watch the CWS on TV. On to Grand Teton and Yellowstone tomorrow.

Sunrise at Grand Teton and the day at Yellowstone

Attachment 21607Attachment 21609Attachment 21608Attachment 21609Attachment 21611Attachment 21613

I got up early and left the hotel at 4:30 to catch the sunrise in Grand Teton National Park. I had the park nearly to myself until about 7:00am. Great ride through Teton and Yellowstone. The day ended by riding the Beartooth Pass and then down to Cody for the night. The Beartooth was awesome! By far the best stretch of road and views of the day.
    I'll post some more pics later.

Them mountains sure are spectacular! Rode that route by Teton a couple years ago. If I was 30 years younger, I would like to hike up them. Now, just looking at them is great! Thanks for the pics!