I've been doing this wrong - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've been doing this wrong

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Sorry dawg, I was only talking about the windshield. Matte silver sounds like the way to go with this soft paint. Also sounds like a great detective name: Matte Silver, DC Homicide Division...

When I brought it home my first act of ownership was removing some sticker below the gas filler, this left visible scratches from where my fingernail dragged over the paint.
    I had to simply stop caring what the paint looked like on my Red '13. I'll wash the dirt off every now and then but I never look too closely. She's so much fun to ride it's hard to fault her for some scratches...
    I did the same thing. Big Cat had the 40th anniversary emblem for sale. I put it under the key entry where the puck mark was. It fits perfectly with the natural curve and everyone thinks it belongs there. Everyone mentioned the puck mark, but I don't hear boo about the emblem.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

No worries on the windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Sorry dawg, I was only talking about the windshield. Matte silver sounds like the way to go with this soft paint. Also sounds like a great detective name: Matte Silver, DC Homicide Division...

When I brought it home my first act of ownership was removing some sticker below the gas filler, this left visible scratches from where my fingernail dragged over the paint.
    I had to simply stop caring what the paint looked like on my Red '13. I'll wash the dirt off every now and then but I never look too closely. She's so much fun to ride it's hard to fault her for some scratches...
    When that bagger shield get so scratched up that it looks like hell, I will order a new one. The only problem I have had so far with it is getting the rubber screw locks out of the bottom panel to invert the top piece. I have tried different lubricants but so far I have not found one that makes this task any easier. I am going to try graphite powder next and keep going until one works.

I just use water and my bare hand to clean. I then dry with a towel before the bike dries. It comes very clean with little effort. I use the Liquid Glass now and again after it is cleaned.

On my Harley I did the same clean and then used Pledge to polish after it was clean. Turtle Paste wax once or twice a year.

I do have a question about removing scuffs etc...
    Can I use Turtle Wax rubbing compound / how thick is the paint?
    Steve

A spray bottle with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water just dissolves the bugs. Wipe it dry and you're done. Spray it on and wait about 1-2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyarddog View Post
    A spray bottle with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water just dissolves the bugs. Wipe it dry and you're done. Spray it on and wait about 1-2 minutes.
    So does a spray bottle with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water..Works great and leaves no scratches or streaks. Do use a micro fiber towel although instead of a plain cotton rag.....Ride safe

Always brings out the best bug info.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    So does a spray bottle with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water..Works great and leaves no scratches or streaks. Do use a micro fiber towel although instead of a plain cotton rag.....Ride safe
    the only problem I see with it is I hate the smell of white vinegar, my wife uses it to clean the coffee maker and it stinks up the house. I suppose using it outside would be a different story.

Thanks for the tip seadog.