Would you chance it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you chance it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Would you chance it?

I've got 5,000 miles on my rear OEM tire. I'm 19 days away from a 3,000-4,000 mile week long trip. Based on the pics and your experience with the OEM tires, should I put on a new tire before the trip? I run 40 psi and have a heavy hand.
    Attachment 21132Attachment 21133Attachment 21134

No

If you don't want to lose the last 1000 miles in it ( looks like that's all there is) save it for a spare. Nothing's worse than being stranded and ruining a trip. Remote shops seldom stock the tire you need.

Shiv

Replace the tire in anticipation for the trip you have planned.

Very little rubber left centerline... You would be horrified if you cut that tire midline and saw its cross section.

This is another reason why I am going to a car tire on the rear.... much better and lasting wear.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Thanks. I'll call around tomorrow to see what I can find locally and schedule it to be installed. Now I've got to do some research on what tire to go with, assuming I have enough time to still have choices. I know a lot of members get great mileage out of the OEMs, rear tire didn't wear well for me. I'm not sure if they are rated for the F6B, but I loved running Michelin Pilot Road 3's and 4's on my Concours with great results. (I'm not yet ready for the dark side).

Quote Originally Posted by Necanefan View Post

I'm not yet ready for the dark side.
    All the more reason to just do it!

went double dark side on my VTX, and just went darkside on the F6B. It is so much better than stock for comfort, for stopping, and for riding on wet roads!

http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?a...6&d=1464109582

shooter
    No. Chances are high that tire will show cord in 2 to 3 thousand miles.

Given that you admittedly have a heavy hand and are going on a 4k trip, I'd change it out.

It's a just a shame that all that good rubber on the outboard edges is going to waste.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Kinda did that same thing once, before going to Sturgis w/my Warrior, I asked my bro how my tire looked, he said good , Well weight of me and week packing, harder on tire roads, and a heavy hand, had cords showing first week their. Could not find 210 tire and to stubborn to buy a smaller size I road till it blew, had enough miles on my road hazard insurance to get me w/in 45 miles of home, brother picked me up w/trailer and all was good, but could have been bad. I am older and wiser now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Kinda did that same thing once, before going to Sturgis w/my Warrior, I asked my bro how my tire looked, he said good , Well weight of me and week packing, harder on tire roads, and a heavy hand, had cords showing first week their. Could not find 210 tire and to stubborn to buy a smaller size I road till it blew, had enough miles on my road hazard insurance to get me w/in 45 miles of home, brother picked me up w/trailer and all was good, but could have been bad. I am older and wiser now. lol
    You're right, that could have been much worse. I'm convinced to change the tire out before the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Given that you admittedly have a heavy hand and are going on a 4k trip, I'd change it out.

It's a just a shame that all that good rubber on the outboard edges is going to waste.
    Haha. I know, it's embarrassing. Nebraska is void of curves and hills. The only time the sides of my tires see any wear at all is on out-of-state rides.
    I'm considering a dual compound tire for that reason, maybe the Dunlop Elite 4.