When the calculations are off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the calculations are off

When the calculations are off

My best buddy, who shall remain nameless to protect the stupid, just sent me pics of the pickup truck ascent he tried. Having a Harley Road Glide Ultra @ 940 lbs. he went to Harbor Freight and bought a loading ramp that had a 1000 lb. capacity. The one calculation he didn't figure on was his weight, 200 lbs., since he would be riding it up the ramp. He said 30 m.p.h. was the sweet spot to get it up on the ramp and into the truck. Funny thing as he was ascending, the ramp started to bend and he gunned it, feeling the sudden droop, and slammed into the back of the pickup, ripping off the kickstand, and hitting hard and falling over to the left and being pinned. Thank God for idiot strength as he righted the bike and strapped it down and went to the dealer to fix the derby cover oil spew, the original problem. Friends shouldn't let friends ride stupid.

Harbor Freight has a plus minus 1000 pound tolerance on their high end 1000 pound ramps. At 30mph the absorbed weight would have been a shy bit over 1000 pounds. The dogs are cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Friends shouldn't let friends ride stupid.

Fixed for you: Friends should let stupid friends ride.
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

glad to read that your friend is still a safe distance from genius...

lol

Sometimes you just have to stand there and shake your head
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

My father used to say "If you had a half a brain you'd walk with a limp". It took me forever to figure that out then you realize it's an insult, in a nice way, so I'll give that to my buddy as constructive criticism.

Life is hard enough

It's harder when your stupid and forget your math, love the dogs, I had a 125 pound golden lab named Horse when I was younger and couldn't keep the dog out of the water, he would go out in the driveway after a rainstorm and plop right down in the puddle if that is all that was available at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    My best buddy, who shall remain nameless to protect the stupid, just sent me pics of the pickup truck ascent he tried. Having a Harley Road Glide Ultra @ 940 lbs. he went to Harbor Freight and bought a loading ramp that had a 1000 lb. capacity. The one calculation he didn't figure on was his weight, 200 lbs., since he would be riding it up the ramp. He said 30 m.p.h. was the sweet spot to get it up on the ramp and into the truck. Funny thing as he was ascending, the ramp started to bend and he gunned it, feeling the sudden droop, and slammed into the back of the pickup, ripping off the kickstand, and hitting hard and falling over to the left and being pinned. Thank God for idiot strength as he righted the bike and strapped it down and went to the dealer to fix the derby cover oil spew, the original problem. Friends shouldn't let friends ride stupid.
    OMG!! Wonder how he calculated the 30 mph sweet spot. Does he know the distance to stop from 30 mph? A little more than the length of a pickup bed...... Maybe it was a blessing the ramp failed.

shooter

I did the bike in the back of the truck thing once. Scarred the hell out of me. After that I got an enclosed trailer.