Going from Cooperstown NY to Asheville NC a few Q's Leaving Sat AM

Thread: Going from Cooperstown NY to Asheville NC a few Q's Leaving Sat AM

Going from Cooperstown NY to Asheville NC a few Q's Leaving Sat AM

We want to avoid some superslab, but have limited time to get there. We'd LIKE to try to get to Roanoke in one day about 565 miles...I am SO tired of route 81out of NYS...thought we'd try 220 to 15 to Harrisburgh then jump on 81 to Roanoke. anyone ever try that way...

My other question, probably more within the groups expertise, any idea of approximate traveltime from rtoanoke to Asheville on the Blue Mountain Pkway...as opposed to 81 to 26?

Finally...any opinions on other alternates to 81 south that arent too slow or too fast (Goldilocks redoux)

If u are leaving sat. Im headed that way and could some company. U can follow me. I plan on heading that way myself. I live i Homer, drive truck, and know some good quick roads. 220 is fun, but slow going. Pm me if interested.

Oh and to ashville, from there. 1.5 days. Depends how u ride, and how often u stop. The parkway is 45 mph. I plan on staying at a motorcycle camping ground just out side maggie valley nc. We can meet in sayre. I go there pretty often, or even Binghamton. Im just 45 mins away.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo116 View Post
    Oh and to ashville, from there. 1.5 days. Depends how u ride, and how often u stop. The parkway is 45 mph. I plan on staying at a motorcycle camping ground just out side maggie valley nc. We can meet in sayre. I go there oretty often, or even binghamton. Im just 45 mins away.
    Hey, thank for the offer. This particular trip is for my son and I. I hope it doesn't sound rude...but we are looking forward to just the two of us on a road trip. He just got a 1985 interstate (same year he was born!) Another time? Maybe there are a few of us upstaters!

https://goo.gl/maps/D9Tj7woP6Eo

Looks like a cool ride to me! Back roads are much more fun than the superslab lol

The blue ridge parkway is pretty slow but looks like you are about 270 miles from Roanoke, VA to Asheville on the parkway which is probably doable in one day but that's an all day event!

https://goo.gl/maps/hwmDwpY1sst

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Hey, thank for the offer. This particular trip is for my son and I. I hope it doesn't sound rude...but we are looking forward to just the two of us on a road trip. He just got a 1985 interstate (same year he was born!) Another time? Maybe there are a few of us upstaters!
    Not a problem at all. If u see a red 6, and a big guy, say hello. It might be me.. ride safe.
    2013 F6B (May 2016)
    2012 goldwing (1year)
    2003 VTX1800c green (13 years)

Rick- can't speak to time thru the Parkway but it's not a time saver because it's so nice a ride but you won't regret 15....I can't stand 81 anymore. I take 15 all the way down (about 10 hrs to get in to NC) don't miss running along the Sasquehanna river where 15 and 11 run together (west side not east) sounds like a great ride with your son.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo116 View Post
    Not a problem at all. If u see a red 6, and a big guy, say hello. It might be me.. ride safe.
    will do! also buy you a cuppa...coffee or whatever

If you're in a hurry, the Blue Ridge Parkway is not the way to go. If you can average 40-45 on the BRP, you're doing pretty good. (...AND you're speeding)

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---