Things a new bike owner needs to consider - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things a new bike owner needs to consider

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    ADD MORE CHROME !!!!! I told you it would be earth shattering 53.
    Shooter: consider my world is shattered.....

Thanks Tony & SeaDog.

Anyone else got good advice/hints/tips/tricks/traps?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

shooter
    OK 53. I finally sobered up. Here it is. I've only been riding for 48 years so from time to time I feel a need to practice my slow speed maneuvers. This may sound silly to some but it really helps when you get in a tight spot. This is one of the heaviest , longest bikes you will crawl on. Tight turns at slow speeds can be challenging. If you have a passenger on board it multiplies the pucker factor. Find you a vacant parking lot and give it a try. It will increase your fun factor.

a spare key, in your wallet or hung around your neck.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    OK 53. I finally sobered up. Here it is. I've only been riding for 48 years so from time to time I feel a need to practice my slow speed maneuvers. This may sound silly to some but it really helps when you get in a tight spot. This is one of the heaviest , longest bikes you will crawl on. Tight turns at slow speeds can be challenging. If you have a passenger on board it multiplies the pucker factor. Find you a vacant parking lot and give it a try. It will increase your fun factor.
    Aye! Great point!
    I keep forgetting that this bike does have a significantly longer wheelbase than "most" other bikes, which makes it more stable, and, per physics, less maneuverable. Especially at slower speeds.
    Yes Shooter - doing some parking lot practice (two spots is ~20' = a two lane road width) to practice slow speed turns, U turns, braking, and swerving is imperative to learning how to ride this girl.

I also would suggest taking the BRC2 and/or ARC courses which puts you and the "6" through the paces in a controlled environment.

Excellent - thank you good sir!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

The number one item on the thing a new bike owner needs to consider list is keep the co-owner in the loop and extremely happy.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    The number one item on the thing a new bike owner needs to consider list is keep the co-owner in the loop and extremely happy.
    True words for any purchase a married man makes over $15......
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Remove every cover you can on the bike and locate all the rubber grommets...I can almost bet you are already missing one or two. Mine was even when brand new.

Easiest way to make sure you never lose another one is to attach a micro zip-tie around everyone you can...they don't have to be tight, they just have to be on...It guaranties you won't lose them anymore.

You will come across some which are just a push in button type...for these, remove and add some silicone to the hole and replace the grommet.

And while you have the covers off and some zip-ties...now is also a good time to hide a spare key in there somewhere with one.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kdarmy View Post
    Remove every cover you can on the bike and locate all the rubber grommets...I can almost bet you are already missing one or two. Mine was even when brand new.

Easiest way to make sure you never lose another one is to attach a micro zip-tie around everyone you can...they don't have to be tight, they just have to be on...It guaranties you won't lose them anymore.

You will come across some which are just a push in button type...for these, remove and add some silicone to the hole and replace the grommet.

And while you have the covers off and some zip-ties...now is also a good time to hide a spare key in there somewhere with one.

Keith
    Excellent! Yup, I did that.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

If you have to ask if it's a good idea its probably not. Especially if you have to ask someone to hold your beer first.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

I have a thing for LED lights...oh, really? So, it won't come as a surprise to many that my tip is to add lighting and make it all LED. Possibly, the easiest and most important ones to add are flashing brake lights and preferably, the LED strobe type. There are several choices installed by various forum members. My favorites have been Federal Signal and HyperLites. These make you much more conspicuous to traffic coming from behind and could literally save your life.
    Ken (Hornblower)