Long Trip Prep Help

Thread: Long Trip Prep Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input! It is much appreciated. I value what others have said about rain. The last trip we took to NC we were rained on almost the entire time. I would certainly not want to be preoccupied worrying about my treads in a downpour rather than my driving. I've definitely got a decision to make.

Solo, but with enough gear for 12-13 days. Both bags will be loaded and probably my Kury Ultra Tour bag on the rack or pillion.

Yes, 4,000 is way early for a new air filter. Unfortunately I was unaware I was allowing mice to live rent-free in my breather box and they'd chewed on the filter and set up some architecture so it needed replaced.
    I am told that stuffing steel wool or Brillo pads into the exhaust pipe ends will keep the mice out of the air-box...Never had the problem although I have trapped mice in my garage on occasion..Did stuff the 6 ends of my Cobra pipes this last winter just to be safe....Ride safe and have a great trip.....

exhaust rubber plugs

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I am told that stuffing steel wool or Brillo pads into the exhaust pipe ends will keep the mice out of the air-box...Never had the problem although I have trapped mice in my garage on occasion..Did stuff the 6 ends of my Cobra pipes this last winter just to be safe....Ride safe and have a great trip.....
    I have a set of rubber plugs made for that purpose and when I put the bike up for the winter I install them and during the summer I just feed them the good mice pellets that they all know and love.

That's some talented to find his way from the exhaust pipe into to the air box.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

1,000mi, 1,500mi tops

I had to laugh. Went to the local dealer on my lunch break today to drool over some showroom bikes and talk to the sales guy I like there. As I'm having my recall work done there next week, I drove around to the service side to ask the service manager his opinion on my remaining rear tire life. He asked what my mileage was as we were walking out to my bike and I declined to tell him, I did tell him the estimated mileage of my trip was 4,200mi. After getting on the ground to look at the tire he proclaims that that isn't going to make it 4,200. You've got about 1,000 miles, 1,500 miles tops left on that. I chuckled silently to myself, resisting the urge to shake my head. While I agree my tire may be in poor condition after the trip, there's much more life left in it than 1,500mi. He then asked me again what my mileage was and I told him 6,200. "Hmph" was all he said....

I'm likely going to replace the rear tire prior to the trip, but now he's going to think it's cause I believed him...o well.