Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
Elroy I guess I'm a little different from most. I would replace those tires before I leave. Its a shame , they still have wear on them. You have to consider the time of the year. It's summer time. Nothing is harder on tires than heat. What I got from your post was " I want a troublefree trip". Keep the old ones and puck up a spare rim later. Or call Honda if Russellville and get some new takeoff rims and tires. Already mounted and balanced. Ready for install. Have a safe trip.
I totally respect your opinion, Shooter, but... I disagree about heat being hardest on tires.

I think the leading cause of wear is the road type - twisties v flats, for example. You might recall a forum discussion about tire wear last year sometime and it seemed to me that folks riding the most "interesting" roads typically had consistently lower average mileage per tire than those of us riding more conservative roads, even if the temperatures of our roads regularly exceeded low triple digits. I'm riding year-round in AZ and road surface temps here are often well into the 110-130 F range, yet I've never gotten less than ~12-15k miles from my skins in 40 years of riding. The OPs route won't put him in temps anywhere near these.

Now, having said that, your point about ensuring a "trouble free trip" is well taken. Of course, new skins can't guarantee that.

This is obviously gonna be a comfort call... what choice will make Elroy most comfortable?