Is It The Tire or the Pressure - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is It The Tire or the Pressure

Just put this tire on

Quote Originally Posted by khusmc View Post
    Perhaps a flat spot from sitting over the winter if the bike was on its side stand?
    It didn't sit on this tire over the winter I just put it on this spring about 1800 miles ago and its progressing to the same wear pattern as the old tire.

Run curves all the time

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Dog , youre riding in a straight line too much. Lean that thing over some. Find some curves. Get rid of that chicken strip. If that don't work as you ride down a straight road lean your body one way and the bike the other. After 5 miles switch sides.
    My favorite ride in the state is M22 north of Manistee, Michigan and it runs the lakeshore and I am always pushing the curves hard. Like I said, My Dunlop on the M109R always stayed rounded and never squared up like these Stones. I just don't understand it at all. they are just wearing really funny and it doesn't seem to be just mine as I have seen plenty of pic of wornout stones and they are all the same. I think the next tire is going to be a Dunlop to see if they make a difference.

+1 to what Shooter said.
    It's neither the tire nor the pressure that's causing it....it's the riding style.
    It's also very common on the GWs because they're used mostly for highway/touring riding with very few curves.
    IMHO, that type of riding is benefited by "darksiding" it, but that's another thing in and of itself.
    Find some twistiest curves you can find and wear the sides off some.

Well I guess there is a problem here

Quote Originally Posted by lgjhn View Post
    +1 to what Shooter said.
    It's neither the tire nor the pressure that's causing it....it's the riding style.
    It's also very common on the GWs because they're used mostly for highway/touring riding with very few curves.
    IMHO, that type of riding is benefited by "darksiding" it, but that's another thing in and of itself.
    Find some twistiest curves you can find and wear the sides off some.
    As My Dunlops on my M109R never square up like this and I ride this B just like I rode the M109R and I love running curves so that riding style thing ain't flyin'

A flat spot across the center of the tire is called - "Floridatis".
    Try leaning the bike left and right.

But seriously, I get a flat center when I do high speed runs on high ambient temperatures. Mostly in my past superbike.
    I tend to check the tire pressures at least twice a month.
    2016 Honda F6B Deluxe . Matte Pearl White . Klock Werks Fairing

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    As My Dunlops on my M109R never square up like this and I ride this B just like I rode the M109R and I love running curves so that riding style thing ain't flyin'
    Dog,
    Just my opinion, but we're looking at a 764 lb bike with Dunlops compared to a 844 lb bike with Bridgestones.
    Stones for GWs are known to be, generally speaking, a somewhat softer compound then the harder compound E3 Dunlops.
    I've mounted a bunch of both brands and the Stones are definitely a softer compound....so maybe it is the tire design. However, the softer compound, in part, contributes to making them a great rain tire.
    I know almost every Wing I've seen with some mileage on the Stones will have the "chicken strips" and, IMHO, it's due to highway mileage with a heavy bike that's loaded up.
    Maybe wear out the Stones and then put on a set of Dunlop E4s and see how they do??

And the reason some go to a CT is the same 16 posts as above. After a few thousand miles you are on a car tire, at least by appearance !

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I want the tire to stay round more than having a flattened center section. It almost squares up the tire, with ridges on each side, like the tire in the thread about Elroy's Extended trip help is doing the same thing as my old tire and new tire is doing. I have two gauges I depend upon and both are made by Slime and they are both a lot more accurate then one might expect of a small tire gauge. I never had a tire on my old bike do what this tire is doing, the old bike tire always stayed round and didn't flatten out in the center like the stones are doing.
    Was your "old bike" a 860lb. behemoth like the 6? With just 1190 miles on my OEM Stone the center had flattened out. After observing that, I figured if I was going to be running on a "flat centered tire" it may as well be a G-Max Car Tire. I know! I know! I'm going to crash and burn and go to hell! That should have happened 47K miles ago Still upright and breathing and able to pen this response has some merit

My favorite ride in the state is M22 north of Manistee, Michigan and it runs the lakeshore and I am always pushing the curves hard. Like I said, My Dunlop on the M109R always stayed rounded and never squared up like these Stones. I just don't understand it at all. they are just wearing really funny and it doesn't seem to be just mine as I have seen plenty of pic of wornout stones and they are all the same. I think the next tire is going to be a Dunlop to see if they make a difference.
    The stock tire on my 109R was a 240 series and had nowhere near the "pronounced thread radius" as the 6's OEM Stone! The narrower radius is more apt for "center wear" as you are experiencing! I went to a 250 Avon Venom R on my 109 which delivered 12.5K miles of wear, twice that of the OEM tire. The tire was extremely dangerous in heavy rain! As me how I know

250 Dunlop on the Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    The stock tire on my 109R was a 240 series and had nowhere near the "pronounced thread radius" as the 6's OEM Stone! The narrower radius is more apt for "center wear" as you are experiencing! I went to a 250 Avon Venom R on my 109 which delivered 12.5K miles of wear, twice that of the OEM tire. The tire was extremely dangerous in heavy rain! As me how I know
    12.5 miles on your avon, unheard of on my 250 Dunlop, if I got 7500 miles out of my dunnies that was huge mileage! I only got just 6990 out of the OEM Bridgestone on the F6B, I drive my bike like I stole it and that's all the time. So I never expected the mileage that people were proclaiming was going to happen on my ride and I was right. The other thread is right, the dam stones turn into a car tire whether you like it or not. I will try one more tire when the stone is worn out and put an Elite 4 Dunlop on and go with that and if that one turns into a car tire maybe Shooter is right although I hate to give him to much credit or his head will get too big and he won't be able to get thru a door