Is It The Tire or the Pressure - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is It The Tire or the Pressure

No issues with my rear tire and I run 40/41 lbs in it always..Have run 39/40 in front since day one and got really tired of the "bouncy" harsh ride from the front forks/tires...Lowered the pressure to 37 in the front and man what a difference!!!....Anyway, no more high pressures for me, going to run close to what the owners manual says....36 front, 41 rear....Ride safe

I've been following this thread and I'm baffled. I have 7,300 miles on my tires and they look darn near new yet with no signs of what you have seadog. I don't ride hard, but I'm not a grandma either. We have some twisties here, but nothing like the south, and I do quite a bit of highway. I didn't take a pic, but I checked air and the quality of them this morning and they're wearing perfectly, in my opinion. My air pressure is never below 38.5 and never above 41. I check the psi every two or three weeks, so I'm not even doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm clueless as to your problem. Maybe the compound just isn't right in the batch you got part of.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

The OEM did the same

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I've been following this thread and I'm baffled. I have 7,300 miles on my tires and they look darn near new yet with no signs of what you have seadog. I don't ride hard, but I'm not a grandma either. We have some twisties here, but nothing like the south, and I do quite a bit of highway. I didn't take a pic, but I checked air and the quality of them this morning and they're wearing perfectly, in my opinion. My air pressure is never below 38.5 and never above 41. I check the psi every two or three weeks, so I'm not even doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm clueless as to your problem. Maybe the compound just isn't right in the batch you got part of.
    The original tire wore the same way that this tire is wearing. I have seen pics of others tires and the wear pattern is the same as mine. They just seem to flatten out the center, why they do that is my problem and I am varying the air pressure to see if I can overcome this outcome. By the way my original tire was done at 6990 miles so I am beating it more than you. Check out the pics of the tire on Elroys long trip prep help thread, that is exactly the same thing my tires have be wearing like.

FWIW Dog... I run the Metzelers and same thing happened to me. After a long trip split between interstate and backroads at about 6-7k, I found the tire was flattening in the center. I thought it was a manufacturing issue. I am on top of the pressures and always run 41 F / 43 R. After talking to a few friends about it and adding more miles, the flattening reduced and now I have 13k on those tires with no issues. Front is on the wear bar so it will be replaced soon. Rear looks like it will go another 4-5k