Perspective
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Perspective

Just sipping a beer and musing about this tire I am going to be mounting on my F6B soon:

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Beer this early in the morning? I didn't know you lived in FredNeck county too!

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    Beer this early in the morning? I didn't know you lived in FredNeck county too!
    Ha... picture was from last night... Just was remiss in posting it until this am.

I am about 50 miles due east of you... my official worksite is right across the street from Westview Promenade/Mall, but I remote in from home

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I gotta jump in here. Why would anyone take something as critical as a rear tire of a motorcycle, and change it to something that the bike was not engineered for. Seems to me that a manufacturer would have specked a different tire application if in fact it made the motorcycle better. Just my opinion but I cant wrap my arms around this " darkside " issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1974 CB 750
    1976 Sportster
    1978 Low Rider
    1984 Superglide
    1994 Road King
    2000 Ultra Classic
    2016 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I gotta jump in here. Why would anyone take something as critical as a rear tire of a motorcycle, and change it to something that the bike was not engineered for. Seems to me that a manufacturer would have specked a different tire application if in fact it made the motorcycle better. Just my opinion but I cant wrap my arms around this " darkside " issue.
    Because it works.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Buddy, you're treading on thin ice....be careful
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Just do it !!!!!!!!IMG_3751.jpgIMG_3749.jpgIMG_3745.jpg

Believe it not, the Honda shop mounted mine !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

There are arguments on both sides of this issue on why or why not to do it. I did an awful lot of reading 5 years ago before putting a goodyear triple tread on my VTX1300R. The "pros" cited by people had already gone dark side, just seemed to outweigh the "cons" proposed by people who never tried it. I have yet to read anywhere about a car tire on a motorcycle actually causing any of the issues the naysayers were proposing.

Now it may be because in all of those incidents the people actually died in a big ball of flame, and were never able to report their accident. But I'm not convinced of that.

In my own experience the ride is smoother on straightaways, provides better braking on dry & wet roads, lasts much longer, takes a bit more to get in to a turn, but takes a lot less to get the bike back upright and stopped.

And to be completely honest, I find that I ride a lot more aggressively - even in the turns - than I do on a motorcycle tire. I just feel that much more comfortable and capable on the car tire I have. And that's with about 20,000 miles on two different bikes.

Tire selection is important. The GYTT has a pretty squared profile, and took a bit more to get in to a turn. The Brigestone run flat tire I have now is a little more rounded at the edges, and is more MT like in it's handling.

And I understand your hesitation to buy in to it. I was skeptical as well.

YMMV

There you go.... someone just testified.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537