cuz crash an death - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cuz crash an death

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    +1

Has anyone walked out to get on their bike and then said no and went back into the house, ever pull up to an intersection and for no known reason turn right when you have ALWAYS turned left, ever been with someone who ran out of gas and made you sit along side the road for an hour only to see a bad wreck up the road after you got moving? I have experienced all of the above and some...makes you think !!!
    Just yesterday. Was going to go on the MD COPS Ride, and knew I wasn't up for it.

Sat on the sofa and just got fatter instead.

Back in 1985 on the way to work with my wife...........

It was a winter morning with rain and a bike crossed center line looking for the reserve valve and clipped a 18 wheeler coming the other way. He lived but lost a leg. It was dark but the scene was very ugly. My secretary at the time had a relative who worked at the hospital and gave me the complete story. I had a son on the way and decided to sell my 1980 CB 750 Custom. Always kept my endorsement and a friend let me ride his Shadow back in 2004 and the bug bit again.

On the way back from bike week a few years ago, it was raining (again) and about mile marker 53 in Georgia we came upon a massive accident that killed 5 bikers on their way home. It shook my wife pretty bad. Harley parts were on the highway--in the woods and scattered everywhere. She couldn't drive after that and suggested I sell out---again. I learned my lesson the first time and that wasn't happening again.

July 15th, 2011 was the worst day of my life to date. My son in law was killed on the same I 95, 60 miles further south leaving my daughter and 2 sons--9 and 4 years old. He owned an ATV and my wife was sure he was going to end up in a wheelchair from that. She was wrong and it was his pickup truck that did him in. I still hate I 95 but drive it when I have to. I had a cousin killed at 18 on a borrowed bike. Yes he was riding over his head at night being a fool.

Here is the way I look at it. Riding a bike is more dangerous that driving a car. People die in cars, too. Sitting on your couch is safe, but you can choke on popcorn sitting there watching a movie. I refuse to sit on a couch and watch life pass by just because...................

Life is precious and meant to be enjoyed. I don't do foolhardy things and stack the odds whenever I can.

Driver, I can't even imaging what it is like to bury a daughter. Doesn't matter how long ago it has been---my heart goes out to you.

BTW--my daughter has an R6.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry for your loss. Yes I've dealt with this. You were wise to not ride while your head is not 100% in the game. I know it's no comparison, and don't get me wrong, but I begged off on a group ride through Angeles Crest the day after my dog died, I just wasn't mentally there. I didn't want to endanger myself or others in the group because I was distracted.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    ...Driver, I can't even imaging what it is like to bury a daughter. Doesn't matter how long ago it has been---my heart goes out to you.
    BTW--my daughter has an R6.
    Cheers, thanks.
    She would have been 28 next month.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    ....the day after my dog died, I just wasn't mentally there. I didn't want to endanger myself or others in the group because I was distracted.
    Good on you!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I'm also sorry to learn of your recent loss Blk6bgg6.

Anytime I hear of a motorcyclist losing their life; it chills me somewhat. There but for the grace of god go the rest of us.

I remember when I got back in motorcycling over 10 years ago; the Honda salesman that sold me my VTX1300 R was killed shortly thereafter. Someone pulled a left hand turn in from on him while he was on his newly acquired Valkyrie.

I had a lot of 2nd thoughts about getting back on a motorcycle for quite awhile... after that awful incident.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It's actually a good thing to have an understanding of our mortality. I for one am much more careful when riding and where I ride at 53, then when in my 20s.

Not a month goes by when I'm not threatened by a car that's in my lane on a two lane road, or somebody cutting me off. Texting drivers are the worst of the threats now, and I'm always looking out for them as well.

That all said, we have to live our lives. Not taking unnecessary risks, but understanding that life is a risk including doing what we love to do.

Sorry for your loss.

I was pushed left of the white line coming in this morning.
    It seems much worse than 15 to 20 years ago.
    People are in such a hurry and are much less considerate on the roads nowadays.

I've told my wife, "No regrets, it is a part of me."
    I'm sure all our lost ones would say the same to us.
    I remember my friend when I ride, I'll never forget him because I do.

cuz crash an death

Thanx all condolenses,..and to u all same,as u have similar an closer to home tragedies.Back on the bike an loving it ,great forum I learn so much.