Key Stuck in the Ignition Switch?

Thread: Key Stuck in the Ignition Switch?

Key Stuck in the Ignition Switch?

OK here is a goofy one for you... I've had the F6 apart for the last week or so to install some goodies and do some wiring clean up work from the LED lamps that I installed awhile back. Anyway... while I had the meter panel cover off and the instrument cluster out of the way I had the key in the ignition switch. The key worked fine as far as being able to turn the ignition switch to the different positions. (On, Off, Fork Lock, etc...) But when I tried to remove the key it would only come out about half way. I could push it back in and it would rotate correctly, but it just wouldn't come out. I tried to work it back and forth and up and down, but it would still get stuck when I tried to remove it. The bike has less then 3000 miles on it and it's not like it has been exposed to excessive dirt or weather. So my thought is that there must be something in the tumblers inside the switch that is out of whack that is jamming the key. There are (2) T20 security head Torx screws on either side of the top part of the housing that I removed hoping that the lock cylinder would come out with the key in it allowing me to see what the issue was. Well when I removed the screws I was unaware that there was a spring under this housing that sent those two screws flying as soon as I made the last turn of the screwdriver. Of course I saw the head of the 2nd screw just before it disappeared into the abyss of plastic know as the shelter and center storage compartment. After a moment of silence in disbelief that this just happened followed by an outburst of profanity that would make the 7th fleet proud (then of course the voice from inside the house asking... "is everything alright out there?") I decided that I had had enough fun for one day. So before I remove every plastic part that a motorcycle to possibly have on it in hopes of finding these two lost screws... I'm going to go fishing with a magnet to see if I have any luck. Worse comes to worst I will just replace the screws and cross my fingers that the originals fall out of the body work before do any damage to anything. Easy right? Not so fast there. In looking at the parts breakdown Honda doesn't list (or show) these screws at all. I'm assuming that they want you to buy and replace the entire ignition switch assembly? Any ideas on how to find out the specs on these screws?

Attachment 21497

I was going to suggest pour some 3-in-1 oil down the key to loosen the tumblers......

Many men truly love to go fishing. Most do it in a boat for fish.
    I reckon you'll get to spend some quality time on your work stool with a rod and reel....
    Best of luck....

I had a safety spring on a CZ-75 pop while on an outdoor range. That spring and control thingy were "somewhere" in the Pensacola sand.
    Never found them. I wish you better success.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

OOOoppps !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Yeah, try squirting some lube down in there and work it a bit. Some people use WD40 for that. The key should come out without too much trouble.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Graphite is better than using oil in a key cylinder. The oil will attract dirt and make it worse later on. You can buy powdered graphite in a tube with a pin point tip to shoot into key cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Graphite is better than using oil in a key cylinder. The oil will attract dirt and make it worse later on. You can buy powdered graphite in a tube with a pin point tip to shoot into key cylinders.
    Ahhh yes. I remember that.....now.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

CRC makes a great Industrial Grade Silicon. The nice thing about CRC is it will leave no residue. Give the key shaft/slot a good soaking and wiggle/jiggle the key for a few seconds. Repeat as needed until the key releases!

Funny to read but obviously not to be in your shoes..good luck and please update us on the final outcome.

I didn't take it apart but the screws, could they be number 23 in the diagram?