First screw job - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First screw job

The last time I picked up a screw in a bike tire it was a total loss...brand new tire too, for whatever reason plugs wouldn't hold and the slime I tried did nothing. Hopefully if it happens again the Ride On stuff recommended here works better.

Liability

If there were any safety issues with tire plugs they wouldn't be sold..."PERIOD"! The "Ambulance Chasers" would be all over the plug manufacturers like "flies on $hit". Used them on numerous occasions throughout the years without incident! If anyone wants a education on tire plugs visit a Freight Liner Repair Facility. They have "heavy duty" plug kits for "heavy truck and bus" tires. We are not talking plugging re-tread tires, mind you. Any original tire be it truck, car, bus or cycle can be safely plug repaired if the puncture is in the thread/tread face. Any tire I've ever plugged and run until worn out was closely inspected once remove from the rim. The "knotted plug end" was securely in place with no sign of movement. A tire properly repaired with a plug will hold and maintain pressure throughout its life with only only slight air adjustments for temp and elevation With all that said, the issue of tire plugging is like oil, rear end lube, tire brand, Dark Side etc. etc. etc.. All are subjective and at the desire and whim of the user

I understand the different views on repairing a tire, and I knew I'd hear both sides. I'm in the business and I think this repair will work out. I'm going to run it locally and test the waters for a while. I have the meet and greet in PA at the end of the month. I'll gauge my feelings by then as to how I feel about a longer trip. If anything, it should show a leak before it gives out. I had all I could do to force the plug in the hole. It wasn't damaged in any way running it low or anything.

On my last bike I patched a tire that I purchased from a previous owner, let it sit for a winter, then when I installed it, I got a small leak. I was shocked as I believed in patches before plugs, but the tire took a different shape when it was aired up and caused the patch to buckle. I still rode it until I got hit by a car....I'm that type. After that episode and seeing my friend plug his for a summer, I'm going this route for now. He picked up a washer, so that tire actually had a small slit, not even a round hole. I was there when he plugged it, and it still lasted.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

You can't change old thinking....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I sure do understand the thought proses and peace of mind of replace the tire if anything other than ideal circumstances, and I truly am NOT trying to down play anyone's thoughts. Although I am curious as to what some folks think will happen to a plugged tire? Is it the feeling that the tire will somehow rip open from the hole that was made by the screw? or that the tire will spit out the plug and go flat in an instant and cause a crash?

Just wondering ????
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Controversy.

Each to his own I always say. But if your like me and like to see triple digits on the speedo every now and then, I would not risk it on a plugged tire. The price of a new one isn't worth the risk of running a plugged one. JMHO

My bike will never see triple digits, maybe that's why I get good mileage. I feel confident, and I did think about slime or ride on, but never made the move. Any sign of a problem and it's coming off...trust me on that.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    My bike will never see triple digits, maybe that's why I get good mileage. I feel confident, and I did think about slime or ride on, but never made the move. Any sign of a problem and it's coming off...trust me on that.
    Wayne!

Regardless if the tire is removed soon or last several more thousand miles for you, please take a few pictures of the used carcass/casing! Pictures tend to paint a thousand words and are evidence of a good or bad "plug repair". Weather folks are pro or con on the subject, you will have at least provided them a glimpse of your experience!

Ride Safe

bob109

The difference between double digits and triple digits?

Open or closed casket. Be safe and respect others experiences and opinions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Wayne knowing your in the tire business I have to ask have you ever seen a plug fail that wasn't iffy from the get go. I too spent years in different tire shops and have plugged countless tires car and MC. I have yet to see one fail that wasn't questionable when it left the shop, ie.. big hole or slit, close to sidewall, still leaking at puncture.
    I think your doing it right feeling it out and being careful. Get down and check the air pressure before every ride though don't just kick it and call it good.

BTW glad to see the center stand is getting good use.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red