First screw job - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First screw job

Roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Its totally up to you but I have stated in the past that if I get a nail or a screw in the tire I will plug it long enough to get to a place to replace that tire immediately. You only have one life and two tires keeping that life safe, I agree with anyone that says to replace that tire as soon as you can. Your life is worth more than the money spent on a new tire. JMHO
    Im not an engineer. I did work for Goodyear in the industrial rubber products division. Ive seen up close how a tire, a fan belt and a hose is made. I think its not so much the hole as it is the plys (just layers of fabric) and belts (coated steel wires) are compromised (torn). These hold that molded piece of rubber together. I use ride-on also, but like Seadog, its to get you to a replacement. Gents, we ride 900lb powerful bikes. Please get a new tire!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    Wayne knowing your in the tire business I have to ask have you ever seen a plug fail that wasn't iffy from the get go. I too spent years in different tire shops and have plugged countless tires car and MC. I have yet to see one fail that wasn't questionable when it left the shop, ie.. big hole or slit, close to sidewall, still leaking at puncture.
    I think your doing it right feeling it out and being careful. Get down and check the air pressure before every ride though don't just kick it and call it good.

BTW glad to see the center stand is getting good use.

You beat me to the question!!!!! A lot of folks talk fire and brimstone only to have nothing but speculation and B.S. to back it up ..... JMHO
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Wayne!

Regardless if the tire is removed soon or last several more thousand miles for you, please take a few pictures of the used carcass/casing! Pictures tend to paint a thousand words and are evidence of a good or bad "plug repair". Weather folks are pro or con on the subject, you will have at least provided them a glimpse of your experience!

Ride Safe

bob109
    I will Bob...I'm checking air pressure tonight and will take a before photo of the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    Wayne knowing your in the tire business I have to ask have you ever seen a plug fail that wasn't iffy from the get go. I too spent years in different tire shops and have plugged countless tires car and MC. I have yet to see one fail that wasn't questionable when it left the shop, ie.. big hole or slit, close to sidewall, still leaking at puncture.
    I think your doing it right feeling it out and being careful. Get down and check the air pressure before every ride though don't just kick it and call it good.

BTW glad to see the center stand is getting good use.
    Center stand is awesome, especially now...

I have seen plugs leak after the fact, not necessarily fail. At my shop, we don't plug tires, we patch them! I know that goes opposite of what I'm doing, but I'm on the other side of the fence! As I said earlier, I have a friend who plugged a washer hole (slit) and it lasted a whole summer. I patched a motorcycle tire and it leaked.

I'm not a maniac, I don't race, I don't test the RPM range....I feel like I'm ok. My tires never lost more than 1lb of air, so I'll know right away if it's holding up. I'm much more concerned about it loosing pressure, not failing.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Is this plug patch that you use at work Wayne ?
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

Plugs work very well in tires if you install them correctly. I once used TWO plugs TOGETHER once on my past Tacoma's tire when a very LARGE bolt went through the tread. I wasn't sure if it was going to hold but it DID and lasted for several thousand more miles until a pine tree took my truck out (crushed it).

No different on a m/c tire. Plugs work. And last.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxed View Post
    Is this plug patch that you use at work Wayne ?
    Something similar Ed. I don't do the work anymore, so I'm not sure what brand we have. I just used a plug from a Slime kit. I checked the air tonight and it's holding firm. Of course, the real test starts tomorrow after work. We have a nice run of weather through the weekend, so by then I should know if it holds up.
    Here's a before pic....it hasn't seen the road yet. It was tough to cut flush, but I think it's soft enough to flatten out without thumping. We-Will-See. Also, I think the tire is half worn right now. I looked at the new one and you can surely see some wear between the two.

Attachment 21528

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Each to his own I always say. But if your like me and like to see triple digits on the speedo every now and then, I would not risk it on a plugged tire. The price of a new one isn't worth the risk of running a plugged one. JMHO
    Im with you Seedog. I twist the throttle on a regular basis and its not worth it for me with a plug. I have had a plug fail once in my truck and my tire went flat while I was rolling which is what I would worry about with the bike running way too hard out in the country and the tire go flat on me in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I would rip apart or anything but I don't have time for another flat because the plug failed lol.

I would definitely feel more comfortable with a patch but if im going to spend money to have the tire removed for a patch im not putting the old tire on. Im not against plugging tires and I do keep a plug kit with me for emergencies on the side of the road but they are only a temporary fix for me until I can get home and pull the rim off.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Something similar Ed. I don't do the work anymore, so I'm not sure what brand we have. I just used a plug from a Slime kit. I checked the air tonight and it's holding firm. Of course, the real test starts tomorrow after work. We have a nice run of weather through the weekend, so by then I should know if it holds up.
    Here's a before pic....it hasn't seen the road yet. It was tough to cut flush, but I think it's soft enough to flatten out without thumping. We-Will-See. Also, I think the tire is half worn right now. I looked at the new one and you can surely see some wear between the two.

Attachment 21528
    In my opinion... just my out loud (OK typed out) thoughts.

After a look at your tire Wayne my guess is you MAY have 3 to 4,000 miles left anyway, Tops!!! One thing for sure, Motorcycle Tires are like life and toilet paper. The closer to the end the faster they go.

Honestly I wouldn't plan on another 7,800 miles on that tire. The rubber on the sides are a much softer compound than the center and will wear fast as it wears down. Before you know it your tire will look like this...........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    In my opinion... just my out loud (OK typed out) thoughts.

After a look at your tire Wayne my guess is you MAY have 3 to 4,000 miles left anyway, Tops!!! One thing for sure, Motorcycle Tires are like life and toilet paper. The closer to the end the faster they go.

Honestly I wouldn't plan on another 7,800 miles on that tire. The rubber on the sides are a much softer compound than the center and will wear fast as it wears down. Before you know it your tire will look like this...........
    Understood Dan...I saw more of a difference between new and mine than I thought....if I can get another two months out of it, I'll be satisfied. Trust me, this thing is on high alert! I have a new tire sitting right behind me and I work at a tire shop. Shame on me if I wait too long. I just feel like there's more life and I want to get what I can out of it. I'm not made of money, so things need to stretch out. I'm not on assistance, I pay my way, and I'm right in the middle of surviving and not!

shooter
    I think I can honestly say that Duke , being in the tire business has enough sense to not run that tire past its useful life. I know that the plug issue will be constantly on his mind and he is going to check that tire every time he crawls on that bike. Give him a break guys. He didn't just fall off the turnip truck. When it comes to doing things right he's at least as good as most of us and better than a lot of us.