First screw job - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First screw job

Wayne you work for a tire company. What is a new tire going to cost you? You probably even know someone who will mount it for you for the price of a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. I know you, you take far too many long trips away from home. Is it really worth the gamble? It would be bad enough to wake up in the morning to a flat tire but it would hurt a lot more at highway speed.

PS Did you happen to save the screw? It looks like just the screw I've been looking for to fix the dog's house.

Thanks shooter, but these guys are civil....no problems or comments that I didn't expect! The 9 forum, well that's another issue!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Wayne you work for a tire company. What is a new tire going to cost you? You probably even know someone who will mount it for you for the price of a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. I know you, you take far too many long trips away from home. Is it really worth the gamble? It would be bad enough to wake up in the morning to a flat tire but it would hurt a lot more at highway speed.

PS Did you happen to save the screw? It looks like just the screw I've been looking for to fix the dog's house.
    Bob, you're always good for a chuckle, thanks. I believe this plug is in there and will hold. That's all I can say about it. I can't purchase motorcycle tires through my company. I'm just like you guys in that department. I'm going to do some low level riding this weekend, and if this looks strong after that, I'm riding it out. The only thing I expect is a possible slow leak from it. Nothing else. The tire is in good shape other than the plug. This screw/plug is a text book fix...and btw, it's in screw heaven right now.

Guys, if this works or doesn't, I'll report it here first. Maybe I'm a test dummy for some who would consider it. I'm ok with that with what I see. My goal with this tire was 12-14k, but as others have said, I won't risk my safety on it and I don't believe I am right now.

My experiment just came to be short lived. I got a deal on a couple of take-offs, so no reason to run this tire very long, maybe just for the weekend, or the next rainy day we get for me to pick them up. I'm torn between being disappointed or relieved!

Whatever the case.... having a tire plug kit (and compressor) and knowing how to use it; is a must when on the road with your bike. Or resign yourself to seeking assistance from a tow truck... or a long walk home.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    My experiment just came to be short lived. I got a deal on a couple of take-offs, so no reason to run this tire very long, maybe just for the weekend, or the next rainy day we get for me to pick them up. I'm torn between being disappointed or relieved!
    Thats good news. My views on the plug subject changed when i saw the blocks of raw rubber , the fabric and the thin wire that in a very short time become a tire. Also i saw the defect bin of rejects. Yea there is a few layers of each but im just thinking the force it takes to punture the vulcanized rubber is also enough to tear the ply. I was thinking you were more than half way through the life anyway. I didnt mean to preach or offend anyone, just my thoughts. Tires are not a micro engineered thing. The machines are that make them, but i was taken back by how quick they are made. The oven that vulcanizes the rubber is the longest part.

The Stop and Go pocket Tire plugging kit

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Whatever the case.... having a tire plug kit (and compressor) and knowing how to use it; is a must when on the road with your bike. Or resign yourself to seeking assistance from a tow truck... or a long walk home.
    I bought this kit from Aerostich for 35 buck and it includes everything you need to plug a screw, nail or small bolt hole. I use it with Slimes small compressor, they have one kit with CO2 canisters but if you can't find the leak immediately you would burn all the canisters and have nothing left to fill the tire so I opted for the one without the canisters and bought the small Slime Compressor to go with it.
    Its very unique how it puts these plugs in the tire, quite trick I might add. The plugs are shaped like a small mushroom and it squeezes them thru a tube under pressure and pops them into the tire. I have not had to use it yet, thank God but I am ready if the time arrives. Another thing I liked about this kit is it small and take up very little space.http://www.aerostich.com/stop-and-go...epair-kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    +1.......One of my first mods is a battery "pigtail" and Slime Compressor and Plug Kit! A "peace of mind" feature which is "priceless" when the "flat tire syndrome" unexpectedly presents itself

I'm riding with those items now...