That this thread started today is quite ironic.....

I just discovered a few hours ago that the Army Colonel who lived a few rooms down from me in the MCAS El Toro barracks in 1997-1998 had passed away in 2012.
Col Matt Fevang was the owner of the '73 Ironhead that I eventually received from my wife as a coming home from deployment in one piece present and it was the first Harley I ever rode.
Matt was the one that got me into motorcycling.
I was always fascinated by motorcycles, but parental pressure and Catholic guilt kept me far away.
Then a wife, kids, life, etc. And in the USMC for an officer to ride was career suicide.

Then, as a Major, pretty much guaranteed retirement, I watched Matt on that bike and decided to take the MSF course.
I passed, and started looking for a bike and found an '81 Wing std whose owner needed cash. He was getting married in two weeks and expecting a child in 4 weeks. Same gal.
We bartered and I called my wife who was 3300 miles away in Cherry Point, NC and said I need $1800 for my midlife crisis. (I was 35).
She asked if it had blonde hair and boobs. I said no, but she had 4 cylinders and was shiny. I got the okay.

524829_543773455652559_334813393_n.jpg

This bike is still running today. It was the starter bike for one of my crewchiefs and he has had a lot of fun with it.