When did you discover that riding was in your blood?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When did you discover that riding was in your blood?

When did you discover that riding was in your blood?

For me it was a neighbour's uncle that had a Honda 305 Dream.

I was 8 and the friend of a young girl my age two doors over. She had an uncle that by all accounts was a little wild. He had a thick German accent so that made him all the more eccentric, and fun to listen to.

He'd come by their house from time to time to visit driving either an old Mercedes dressed up as a home made stock car, or sometimes he'd show up on the Honda 305. One day he asked all the adults hanging around if anyone wanted to go for a ride around the block on the bike. No takers. Maybe because they knew him better than I did.

When no one else stepped forward I said "I'll go". I really believed he wouldn't take a "kid" on that bike, but he replied with "hold onto za seat schtrapp ya, und lean mit me into za turns".

That trip around the block changed my life. My back alley became my motorcycle test track until I was old enough to legally drive and I have never not had a bike of some sort or another in my life since!

Attachment 21533

In 1956 or '57 a neighbor kid bought a brand new Lambretta scooter. He was a little older than me and at that time in Michigan you could get a license to ride a 2 wheeler of less than 5HP at the age of 14. He took me for a ride after school one day and that sealed the deal. I started saving every nickel I earned from my paper route and managed to come up with $410 to buy a brand new 1959 Cushman Eagle. I was 14 at the time and like the OP, I have had a bike of some kind pretty much since that time except for a short period when raising a family. I'm almost 72 now and have been riding pretty much non stop for 58 years.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    I started saving every nickel I earned from my paper route and managed to come up with $410 to buy a brand new 1959 Cushman Eagle.
    How could you NOT like riding one of those beauties!

Timing.....

That this thread started today is quite ironic.....

I just discovered a few hours ago that the Army Colonel who lived a few rooms down from me in the MCAS El Toro barracks in 1997-1998 had passed away in 2012.
    Col Matt Fevang was the owner of the '73 Ironhead that I eventually received from my wife as a coming home from deployment in one piece present and it was the first Harley I ever rode.
    Matt was the one that got me into motorcycling.
    I was always fascinated by motorcycles, but parental pressure and Catholic guilt kept me far away.
    Then a wife, kids, life, etc. And in the USMC for an officer to ride was career suicide.

Then, as a Major, pretty much guaranteed retirement, I watched Matt on that bike and decided to take the MSF course.
    I passed, and started looking for a bike and found an '81 Wing std whose owner needed cash. He was getting married in two weeks and expecting a child in 4 weeks. Same gal.
    We bartered and I called my wife who was 3300 miles away in Cherry Point, NC and said I need $1800 for my midlife crisis. (I was 35).
    She asked if it had blonde hair and boobs. I said no, but she had 4 cylinders and was shiny. I got the okay.

524829_543773455652559_334813393_n.jpg

This bike is still running today. It was the starter bike for one of my crewchiefs and he has had a lot of fun with it.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    That this thread started today is quite ironic.....

I just discovered a few hours ago that the Army Colonel who lived a few rooms down from me in the MCAS El Toro barracks in 1997-1998 had passed away in 2012.
    Col Matt Fevang was the owner of the '73 Ironhead that I eventually received from my wife as a coming home from deployment in one piece present and it was the first Harley I ever rode.
    Matt was the one that got me into motorcycling.
    I was always fascinated by motorcycles, but parental pressure and Catholic guilt kept me far away.
    Then a wife, kids, life, etc. And in the USMC for an officer to ride was career suicide.

Then, as a Major, pretty much guaranteed retirement, I watched Matt on that bike and decided to take the MSF course.
    I passed, and started looking for a bike and found an '81 Wing std whose owner needed cash. He was getting married in two weeks and expecting a child in 4 weeks. Same gal.
    We bartered and I called my wife who was 3300 miles away in Cherry Point, NC and said I need $1800 for my midlife crisis. (I was 35).
    She asked if it had blonde hair and boobs. I said no, but she had 4 cylinders and was shiny. I got the okay.

Attachment 21534

This bike is still running today. It was the starter bike for one of my crewchiefs and he has had a lot of fun with it.
    A few throwbacks on that one. Queen seat and a sissy bar. Do you still own it?

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    A few throwbacks on that one. Ape Hangers, queen seat, and a sissy bar. Do you still own it?
    I do not. Sold it to one of my crewchiefs as his first bike.
    Bates saddlebags, Yamaha windshield bolted on. Sissy bar was held on by 4 hose clamps - wasn't going anywhere.

Some days I miss her. I knew I should have ridden her better than I did. She was very forgiving and helped me along.
    ALL my rookie mistakes were made with her.
    Dropped her at a stoplight when I hit some oil with my boot.
    Snapped a clutch cable and about launched over the handlebars, but she absorbed the shift.
    Ran out of gas.
    Blew the Main Fuse.
    Learned all there was to know about wiring the alternator with one contiguous piece of wire and remove that clip that caused shorts.
    We went on trips and she never let me down - all stranding occurred within 2 miles of home.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Cool

When I was about 12 yoa my parents remodeled our home changing the garage into a larger living room, and adding more seating area in the kitchen. The carpenter guy had a brother Roger who was a huge man who rode a HD. When he left from a stopped position he would lean the bike over as far as possible and take off with very loud pipes. He had a AMF HD dirt bike with the shifter on the right side. He taught me how to ride and fight was a terrible role model. I loved that guy! I have had a bike in my life since then, riding for 43 years on the road now. Could not imaging not owning or riding a motorcycle !!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

My best friend in high school had one, my step dad had one and I eventually gravitated to them. I went a few years out of high school with out one, but have had at least one for the last twenty years or so. Currently my bike stables a bit full...3 of them...

1962 Honda 50

My Dad bought one of these....a 1962 Honda 50 Scrambler....(I don't think they were called a scrambler though)...

Attachment 21535

....when I was about 14 years old.......I could only ride it in the back yard, but I must have put alot of miles on that bike, because except for when I was in college........I've always had a bike (dirt, road, three wheels, four wheels), didn't make a difference as longs as it didn't have doors...........I was hooked for life. I'm now 67. Been riding for over 50 years.

I've been riding for 42 years and counting..