When did you discover that riding was in your blood? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When did you discover that riding was in your blood?

My first real job was in the 60's as an electrical engineer with the power company. During those years, the linemen were very often larger-than-life types whose work was very dangerous. They always had big stories to tell and were really fun to work with. One of those guys was the best off road racers in the area whose name was Larry. Larry was basically one of those Steve McQueen types who was just so cool in every way. One day, I asked Larry what he thought was the best way to learn how to ride a motorcycle. He quickly replied, "start racing, you'll learn real fast". So, I bought a dirt bike and started racing. He was right. I learned real fast...the hard way. Eventually though, Larry and I wound up racing together and had many fun and competitive races although I never beat him. Those were great days and lead to a lifetime of love for two wheels.
    Ken (Hornblower)

In 1971 when on any Sunday was released is when I first knew I wanted to ride, I was 11. Also growing up next to Ascot Park in Gardena plus all the motocross tracks in SoCal at that time my brother and I started racing. SoCal was great in those days! After that, sport bikes for awhile than cruisers and finally to my first touring bike(F6B) Hopefully I can ride as long as you guys have.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    In 1956 or '57 a neighbor kid bought a brand new Lambretta scooter. He was a little older than me and at that time in Michigan you could get a license to ride a 2 wheeler of less than 5HP at the age of 14. He took me for a ride after school one day and that sealed the deal. I started saving every nickel I earned from my paper route and managed to come up with $410 to buy a brand new 1959 Cushman Eagle. I was 14 at the time and like the OP, I have had a bike of some kind pretty much since that time except for a short period when raising a family. I'm almost 72 now and have been riding pretty much non stop for 58 years.
    I'm impressed you were able to save that amount with a paper route during the 50's. That is total dedication to your goal!

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    I'm impressed you were able to save that amount with a paper route during the 50's. That is total dedication to your goal!
    Well, I had a little bit to start with so not the entire $410. But it was about a 2 yr. program that I set out on and stuck with it. I wanted that Cushman real bad.

Bought my first ride at 14 back in 1954. A Whizzer motorbike from a buddy in school for $50...Rode it for a over year delivering papers and saved enough to buy a Cushman scooter.....Been riding motorcycles on and off since then...About 20 or so bikes over the years...Did not ride much from 1958-1998 while I was in school, traveling on my job and raising 5 kids..Been back on bikes since then and hope to ride until I am least 80....Ride safe

It actually happened much later in life for me. I had decided to give up flying as much as I had been doing, and was looking for something less expensive and more accessible to do during my free time.

I took up riding at 44, and been doing it pretty regularly for the past 10 years. And much more since I got the F6B.

When I was little; and I first rode this (belonged to a friend)

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

The summer when I was 14 years old . . . .

Well, I was born in January 1947 which will make me 70 this coming January. When I was 14 in 1961 my dad didn't hesitate to help me buy this used 1958 Lambretta (yes that's me in the picture). That was my first ride. There have been years since then that I was without two wheels due to military service, career, etc. but I'll never forget that summer when I was 14, the best of my life . . .

Attachment 21542

I had a cousin 3 years older than I am and he got a Honda 50 when he was 14 years old back in the mid 60s. We burned up the roads in Twiggs and Bleckley counties as he did not have a license. Back then it was not a big deal to the LEO. Everybody knew everybody else in the rural godforsaken back Ga woods. I lived in Macon and would go stay as much of the summer with him as I could. He got older and got a 125 Benelli and life got even better. Then I saw Steve McQueen in the Great Escape (BTW--bought the DVD).

My parents forbade me from riding anything but bicycle, but you know how that works when you are visiting 40 miles away. I also have a buddy who got a mini bike about that time and we had our share of fun on it---then the decision was made. All I needed was time---a drivers license---and money. At 21 years of age in 1977, I got a small inheritance from my deceased grandmother and guess what 30% of it went towards????????????? So on a cold drizzly February night after work, I went to the Honda Dealership and paid cash for a brand new XL125. And in the dark rain of a winter Tuesday night, I taught myself how to ride on the way home---wearing work clothes and a yellow windbreaker. Didn't even have gloves or eye protection---and in the 50 degree rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I look at the B and the Street Rod in the garage and reflect. The Grateful Dead said it best: "What a long strange trip it's been"
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Probably about 1976, this Honda ST90 did it for me. i doubt I'll ever have a bike I'll love or have as much fun with than that I did with that one.
    Even after everything I did with that bike, It always ran perfect!

Attachment 21553