When did you discover that riding was in your blood? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When did you discover that riding was in your blood?

Quote Originally Posted by BACA View Post
    My Dad bought one of these....a 1962 Honda 50 Scrambler....(I don't think they were called a scrambler though)...

Attachment 21535

....when I was about 14 years old.......I could only ride it in the back yard, but I must have put alot of miles on that bike, because except for when I was in college........I've always had a bike (dirt, road, three wheels, four wheels), didn't make a difference as longs as it didn't have doors...........I was hooked for life. I'm now 67. Been riding for over 50 years.
    I believe that it was called a Trail 50. The Scrambler tag was used for the 250 and then the 305s.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

About 11 years old

Neighbor had a brand spankin new 1959 Cushman Eagle and let me ride it from time to time. Was hooked right from then on.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    And in the dark rain of a winter Tuesday night, I taught myself how to ride on the way home---
    I think that's how most of us "older generation" learned. On our own. When I went for my motorcycle certification the examiner gave me directions that covered off about 1 square mile that circled back to the examiner's office. He said" come back in one piece and you are licensed". Hows that for DMV efficiency?

Of course it's a much busier/nastier world out there on the streets and I would only recommend proper safety instruction leading up to a licence today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdarmy View Post
    Probably about 1976, this Honda ST90 did it for me. i doubt I'll ever have a bike I'll love or have as much fun with than that I did with that one.
    Even after everything I did with that bike, It always ran perfect!

Attachment 21553
    I still see these, or a variation of, strapped down on the back of motorhomes or campers.

First Bike

Very first bike was a 500 BSA with sidecar I bought from a friends dad in 1965, but then I got this one pictured about 1966, A James 250CC Superswift. I loved it until I crashed it in a snowstorm in Scotland and bent the front forks and never could find new forks for it. A Royal Enfield followed for a short time and then I got married and gave up riding. Until about 9 years ago. I have the B now and I love it.

when discover riding in blood

Man u guys bringing back good memories.A good friends dad was into those kaw triples always tinkering in the barn with em.So cool to ride them of course on one wheel.Actually we rode dirt bikes an had blast on em.The honda 90 was popular as another friend rode that thing everywhere.Also intrigued with 2 uncles on mom's side that rode the harleys.It is neat seeing how u all started some a little later in life than others yet a common trait here we all couldn't get it out of our blood if we stopped ridin.Really cool the older riders as I plan to keep ridin as long I can..great stories safe ridin

A great thread! I was consumed by bikes as a young teenager but they stayed within the pages of magazines (parental pressure and Anglican guilt -- similar to 53driver!). Around that same time I met a young family friend in his early 20s (I was 16) who had suffered brain damage in a crash and walked with a cane. That kind of put things to rest for me for years (probably a parental setup) but the idea and the desire never completely went away. Then came marriage and kids; the usual stuff. Tick tock goes the clock. It wasn't until I was working with quite a few guys who rode (police service) that I finally put it into action. I told those guys I was too old now to start (early 40s then) and they said no way -- go do it. So I did and I haven't looked back. On my third and best bike now and loving every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk6bgg6 View Post
    Man u guys bringing back good memories.It is neat seeing how u all started some a little later in life than others yet a common trait here we all couldn't get it out of our blood if we stopped ridin.Really cool the older riders as I plan to keep ridin as long I can..great stories safe ridin
    Yup, it's the bell that can't be unrung!

MR50 Honda

My uncle got me a Honda MR50 when I turned 5. I learned how to balance on it. That is what did it for me. Been riding RED my whole life!!

Street riding in the early 1980's. Honda 4 bangers then.
    Dirt bikes in the late 1960's to early 1970's. Yamahas & Hodakas.
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.