When did you discover that riding was in your blood? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When did you discover that riding was in your blood?

In the early 60's my dad worked as a mechanic at a car dealership and one day he came home on a Vespa scooter someone had traded in for a car. He took me to grade school on that scooter until the dealership sold it. I felt like the coolest kid in town. From that day on I knew that one day I would ride a motorcycle. When I turned 18 I bought my first road bike, a 1972 Honda CB350. Later it was a CB750, Sabre V45, a couple of BMWs, a ST1100 and now my black F6B. There is something I loved in all my bike's but this F6B brings together all the elements that makes it the best bike I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I believe that it was called a Trail 50. The Scrambler tag was used for the 250 and then the 305s.
    Yep.....now I remember.....Thanks!

I guess I started to like it with my first in 1981, a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650. I did some trail riding when I was younger at a place where you could rent and ride, but it didn't grab me then. Soon after the KZ was a brand new 1982 Goldwing, stripped down. Then life started... marriage, my son, and the toys were gone for 27 years or so. Got the bug again after friends started buying them, and here I am with the best bike I ever owned.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Anybody heard of "Heathkit"

In the 60's-70's they made DIY kits for everything from TV's to minibikes (yes, you could build yourself one of those new - fangled colour TV's)... At 13 years old my Dad gave me the "Boonie -Bike" as a surprise birthday present. I spent the next days ripping around at a cottage in the Muskoka region; no helmet, license or brains, but the greatest feeling of independence I've ever experienced. When I turned 16 my first real bike was a BSA Royal Star. Other bikes followed, but like many others, career, marriage and kids put it all on hold until a few years ago. I do regret that, but intend on making up for lost time....

A picture of one...

It all started with a ride on the back of a minibike when I was 8 or 9. I was never the same after that. When I was 14 my buddy and I took turns flat tracking his dad's Honda 55 step through on the fire roads in the Simi hills. Ahhhh, memories. That cemented the quest for my first bike, a HODAKA Super Rat. I remember seeing Roger Decoster racing the Moto GP at Hope town when I was a teen. Any SoCAL boys remember Hopetown?

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
    It all started with a ride on the back of a minibike when I was 8 or 9. I was never the same after that. When I was 14 my buddy and I took turns flat tracking his dad's Honda 55 step through on the fire roads in the Simi hills. Ahhhh, memories. That cemented the quest for my first bike, a HODAKA Super Rat. I remember seeing Roger Decoster racing the Moto GP at Hope town when I was a teen. Any SoCAL boys remember Hopetown?
    Yes and Indian Dunes, Muntz Park,Saddleback, Carlsbad and all the local race tracks like Ascot Park. It was great times to be racing in SoCal back then. Kinda feel sorry for the kids now a days.

We moved to the country when I was 12 and all the neighbor kids had dirt bike because everybody had a driveway that was at least a mile long. Well after walking everywhere for one summer my dad came home from work with a used Honda CB100 street bike. That was awesome but did not go very well in the dirt. Later my mom purchased a basket case Kawasaki KDX175 at a yard sale for $35.00 that seriously had the motor in a clothes basket. My dad bought me all the missing parts and I had that Kawasaki running in 2 weeks, now I could burn up the roads as well as the woods!
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Yes and Indian Dunes, Muntz Park,Saddleback, Carlsbad and all the local race tracks like Ascot Park. It was great times to be racing in SoCal back then. Kinda feel sorry for the kids now a days.
    We used to moto all over the Santa Clara river bed from Indian Dunes to Santa Paula.Muntz was out near where the 23 is now. You can still see traces of the course on the hills. Ascot was awesome as well. Remember watching Bruce Penhall and Billy Gray (Bud on Father Knows best) race speedway on their alky Jawas. You're right about nowhere to ride for the kids now. We used to ride our dirt bikes on the street up into all the hills around Simi. Then we got a police department and the coppers would chase us on their new XL250's. Bwahaha. Good times.

10 yrs old

had a honda ct 70 when i was ten,,,,,, hooked ever since