Surviving hot weather riding
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Surviving hot weather riding

Surviving hot weather riding

Hi,
    I just completed a 12 day run from Oregon, west thru Idaho and Montana, then up thru Calgary and west to Banff, Lake Louise, the Ice Fields, Jasper, etc. Absolutely an amazing run. Temperatures ranged from 42 to 95. I wanted to share some of my experiences on riding on those 90+ degree days. I had 2 accessories that made riding in these somewhat difficult conditions very fun: 1) a CamelBack-style water container, and 2) a 'wet vest'.

The Camel Back water container is the backpack-style water bladder with a sipping tube. Every morning I would go over to the hotel ice machine, fill the water bladder with ice and top it off with water. As the day got hot, every 20 minutes or so I would pop free the bottom of my modular helmet and sip an ounce or two of ice cold water. Note that the effects of dehydration are subtle, and at my advancing age, it does sneak up to me. So the continual consumption of sips of water is better than, say, powering down a 12 oz bottle of water at a gas stop every 2-3 hours. There are a number of these available, I bought one at Dicks for around $50

The wet vest is frankly magic. You soak this vest in water, put it on under your breathable mesh jacket, then as you ride the water in the vest wicks off and cools you like air conditioning. Even in the hottest weather the vest stays wet and cools you for 3+ hours. This sucker really works. I bought mine at Cyclegear but there are other providers as well.

Thats's all I got - hope it helps.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Speaking as a career resident of Phoenix, Arizona, where current daytime temps are hovering around 115F, I'd say you've absolutely got the right ideas with the Camel Back and the Wet Vest. Hydration is essential, and a little bit at a time can definitely help. Better that than to go 2-3 hours between water stops as you say.
    And using the wet vest to keep cool is also a great idea. I'm glad you mentioned both of these.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

When you live in a box like me, you don't even know this stuff existed!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

funny

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    wjduke,
    Good one. this made me laugh out loud.
    pete
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Duke, all you need to keep is a rain suit!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    LMAO. You're a trip brother. More things to spend money on.

Can you us the name of the wet vest?
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

dealing with heat

drive a Goldwing F6B instead of an air cooled v-twin.

I live in Phoenix and I also am a firm believer in hydration systems and cool vests. For those of you looking for a cool vest HyperKewl makes several different styles. I use the one with the mandarin collar because it provides some coolness next to your jugular vein which helps you feel cooler. The ones with vest type collar are not as effective. I also wear a jacket with a minimum of ventilation. I found if you wear a mesh jacket it drys out the cool vest too quickly.

I am a big fan of Camelbacks but I found I do not like wearing them. I just don't like the weight on my back. What I did is make a bracket that bolts to my right passenger foot peg and rear crash bar. The bracket holds a gallon insulated water jug. I then bought some 5/16 food grade vinyl tubing. One end of the tubing is fed into the water jug and I attach a Camelback bite valve to the other end of the tubing. A clip on the front of my jacket holds the tubing when I don't have the valve in my mouth. With this system I simply fill the jug with ice then water and put it in the bracket and I have water for two tanks of fuel or more. With this system the jug is positioned just behind my right leg and down low. Works great but only if you are riding one up. I got the idea for this system from the Iron Butt Association web site. This site is a great place for learning a great deal about long distance riding

Good luck and stay hydrated

drive a Goldwing F6B instead of an air cooled v-twin.

That is the most important comment!!! I was just thinking that the other day when I rode a few miles home after my soccer game in shorts. It is the first time I have felt the heat of the engine when not ripping it up. I thought I am so glad I am not sitting on my cylinder head with all the heat like when I had my HD Fatboy. It would actually leave burn marks from the heat on my thighs and was almost miserable to ride over 90 degrees.
    Steve