Surviving hot weather riding - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Surviving hot weather riding

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    LMAO. You're a trip brother. More things to spend money on.
    We rarely get that kind of heat here...that's my excuse for ignorance! 70's today, day before first day of Summer....no real complaints.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    wjduke,
    Good one. this made me laugh out loud.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pap View Post
    Duke, all you need to keep is a rain suit!
    another meet date is coming up....

Guess I am lucky to be one of those people that actually likes warm weather riding. All my Valkyrie buddies marvel at my ability to ride in the Florida heat & humidity while they stay at home during our 9 month summer.
    Seriously, hydration is the key and sun protection as I am personally finding out about, is important too.
    Love summer riding but the wife aint so keen on it so I don't get out as much as I want to anymore. Damn menopause.
    We did get about 120 miles in today two up on her F6B. She can handle the heat a bit better as a passenger. Only got to 88° today.
    11231688_10206128563551583_5934837486282783783_n.jpg
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.

I also learned a valuable lesson about the heat this weekend,...SUNSCREEN! Sprayed it on nice and heavy but forgot my face and did not even think about my sleeves blowing up, yup i'm burnt.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Has anyone tried this:

www.veskimo.com

I'm thinking about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

shooter
    I've just got a couple things to say on the subject. If your middle aged or in questionable health and you live and work in the AC , you need to think real hard before you expose yourself to big time heat and humidity for long periods of time. My wife is fond of saying that she loves summer. She lives in an AC house , drives an AC car and works in an AC office. Last summer on a day they were forecasting 95°. She wanted to take a long ride for breakfast. 82° at 7am. On the way back it was in the 90s. The combination of heat and breakfast was too much. Eating will raise your body temp. She was sick the rest of the day. People that work in the heat know how to manage their body. People that don't may not. Its not just about hydration. It's knowing when to say when. I stood on a blast furnace for 10 years of my life. I learned a lot about heat management in that time. Learning about it on a long ride is no fun. Know your tolerance before you go.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I also learned a valuable lesson about the heat this weekend,...SUNSCREEN! Sprayed it on nice and heavy but forgot my face and did not even think about my sleeves blowing up, yup i'm burnt.
    A good mesh coat stops the sunburn. I think its cooler with the coat than without. No sun baking you. All mesh coat is pretty cool. It may be a little warmer when sitting in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    Can you us the name of the wet vest?
    Hi,
    Below should be a link to the vest I own on the Cyclegear website. I just saw an ad that says its available for $39.
    Imagine that, a sale from Cyclegear? Wow!

Pete

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    Hi,
    I just completed a 12 day run from Oregon, west thru Idaho and Montana, then up thru Calgary and west to Banff, Lake Louise, the Ice Fields, Jasper, etc. Absolutely an amazing run. Temperatures ranged from 42 to 95. I wanted to share some of my experiences on riding on those 90+ degree days.
    Sounds like a FANTASTIC run!! The Canadian Rockies with the encapsulated glacier are quite breathtaking. Did similar run a few back on my liner, but looking to do it on the B. At my age (58) I've found it's much more enjoyable to stop about every hr anyway, for a few min and water. Makes a 500 mile day a tad more enjoyable.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne