Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Surviving hot weather riding

Just sayin'...

Attachment 21672

Another beautiful day in Paradise.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Wayne!

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    When you live in a box like me, you don't even know this stuff existed!
    Start thinking outside the box for heavens sake!

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous1 View Post
    Sounds like a FANTASTIC run!! The Canadian Rockies with the encapsulated glacier are quite breathtaking. Did similar run a few back on my liner, but looking to do it on the B. At my age (58) I've found it's much more enjoyable to stop about every hr anyway, for a few min and water. Makes a 500 mile day a tad more enjoyable.
    A memento from the ride: As you enter the Clearwater River in Idaho, you see a sign that warms the heart of any rider.

Attachment 21677
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Start thinking outside the box for heavens sake!
    I'm trying man, I'm trying....joining a forum is the first step!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by powercruzer13 View Post
    Guess I am lucky to be one of those people that actually likes warm weather riding. All my Valkyrie buddies marvel at my ability to ride in the Florida heat & humidity while they stay at home during our 9 month summer.
    Seriously, hydration is the key and sun protection as I am personally finding out about, is important too.
    Love summer riding but the wife aint so keen on it so I don't get out as much as I want to anymore. Damn menopause.
    We did get about 120 miles in today two up on her F6B. She can handle the heat a bit better as a passenger. Only got to 88° today.
    Attachment 21606
    I don't love the heat but am not going to let it stop me from riding. I did 350 miles yesterday. Rode the back roads up to Valdosta and back. Lots of water and 70 SPF sunscreen.

Wink Never Ever.

Ain't never ever going to be an issue in Scotland, my only decision is just how many layers do I wear that day
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    Attachment 21672

Another beautiful day in Paradise.
    Nice to see it's cooling down a few degrees for you down there!

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    drive a Goldwing F6B instead of an air cooled v-twin.
    All day long!

GaTeach
    I use a fishing shirt from bass pro. Soak it under the hosepipe at the gas station and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I've just got a couple things to say on the subject. If your middle aged or in questionable health and you live and work in the AC , you need to think real hard before you expose yourself to big time heat and humidity for long periods of time. My wife is fond of saying that she loves summer. She lives in an AC house , drives an AC car and works in an AC office. Last summer on a day they were forecasting 95°. She wanted to take a long ride for breakfast. 82° at 7am. On the way back it was in the 90s. The combination of heat and breakfast was too much. Eating will raise your body temp. She was sick the rest of the day. People that work in the heat know how to manage their body. People that don't may not. Its not just about hydration. It's knowing when to say when. I stood on a blast furnace for 10 years of my life. I learned a lot about heat management in that time. Learning about it on a long ride is no fun. Know your tolerance before you go.

Gotta love Missouri summers. This one is starting out terribly. Could be another 2012 all over again. :-/