Surviving hot weather riding - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Surviving hot weather riding

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    ... What I did is make a bracket that bolts to my right passenger foot peg and rear crash bar. The bracket holds a gallon insulated water jug. I then bought some 5/16 food grade vinyl tubing. One end of the tubing is fed into the water jug and I attach a Camelback bite valve to the other end of the tubing. A clip on the front of my jacket holds the tubing when I don't have the valve in my mouth. With this system I simply fill the jug with ice then water and put it in the bracket and I have water for two tanks of fuel or more. With this system the jug is positioned just behind my right leg and down low. Works great but only if you are riding one up. I got the idea for this system from the Iron Butt Association web site. This site is a great place for learning a great deal about long distance riding

Good luck and stay hydrated
    Du 2 mi common core educassion, I can only reed picts un memes.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    That's hotter than the gates of hell according to the people in Maine.
    Felt like spring again. That 95° with 80% humidity sucks.

Try GLACIER TEK Cool Vest,,AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    Hi,
    I just completed a 12 day run from Oregon, west thru Idaho and Montana, then up thru Calgary and west to Banff, Lake Louise, the Ice Fields, Jasper, etc. Absolutely an amazing run. Temperatures ranged from 42 to 95. I wanted to share some of my experiences on riding on those 90+ degree days. I had 2 accessories that made riding in these somewhat difficult conditions very fun: 1) a CamelBack-style water container, and 2) a 'wet vest'.

The Camel Back water container is the backpack-style water bladder with a sipping tube. Every morning I would go over to the hotel ice machine, fill the water bladder with ice and top it off with water. As the day got hot, every 20 minutes or so I would pop free the bottom of my modular helmet and sip an ounce or two of ice cold water. Note that the effects of dehydration are subtle, and at my advancing age, it does sneak up to me. So the continual consumption of sips of water is better than, say, powering down a 12 oz bottle of water at a gas stop every 2-3 hours. There are a number of these available, I bought one at Dicks for around $50

The wet vest is frankly magic. You soak this vest in water, put it on under your breathable mesh jacket, then as you ride the water in the vest wicks off and cools you like air conditioning. Even in the hottest weather the vest stays wet and cools you for 3+ hours. This sucker really works. I bought mine at Cyclegear but there are other providers as well.

Thats's all I got - hope it helps.
    Try the GLACIER TEK Cool Vest,,It is not affected by Humitity,, Just a thought,,You start with the first set of KOOL-PACKS,You keep the second set of KOOL-Packs in a cooler with COLD water, no need to freeze them, they recharge in COLD water in about 40 minutes, BUT, Last 2-3 hours,, I love-It !! I used-it in SO.Dakoda and It worked Great,,KennyU