Hi,
I am a relatively new rider - 4 years ago I bought my first big bike - but I like road trips of 1,500 to 3,000 mile over a week or two. I ride with all kinds of nuts like many of you on this forum. We usually start the day out with a big breakfast (say, chicken-fried steak) and equally big lunches (burger, french dip, fries) a couple of hours later. The last 10 years or so (I am currently 62) I have found that I get huge 'sleepy time attacks' about 30-60 minutes after these horse-sized meals. (Technically I believe the carbos turn into sugars and make one tired or some such bio-magic). So one of my nut/riding friends is *really smart* and eats a bit different and I've asked him why. So here's what I've learned:

For breakfast he orders 3 scrambled eggs and coffee. Nothing else! Why? "Eggs are protean and that's what you need in the morning before a long ride, and coffee is a stimulant". "Avoid bread, it makes you sleepy and greasy foods just sit on your stomach". Huh, says I.

For lunch he usually has a dinner salad and sometimes soup. Why? "You just need to fill your stomach to hold you over til dinner. Too much at lunch and you get sleepy an hour later". Yep, that's me.

Note that by dinner we are at our destination for the night and all hell breaks lose eating- and drinking-wise.

So I have adopted these evil ways and I must say that they work really well. BTW I slip a lot and order bacon with breakfast.

Interested in other's experiences.