Meals while touring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meals while touring

Meals while touring

Hi,
    I am a relatively new rider - 4 years ago I bought my first big bike - but I like road trips of 1,500 to 3,000 mile over a week or two. I ride with all kinds of nuts like many of you on this forum. We usually start the day out with a big breakfast (say, chicken-fried steak) and equally big lunches (burger, french dip, fries) a couple of hours later. The last 10 years or so (I am currently 62) I have found that I get huge 'sleepy time attacks' about 30-60 minutes after these horse-sized meals. (Technically I believe the carbos turn into sugars and make one tired or some such bio-magic). So one of my nut/riding friends is *really smart* and eats a bit different and I've asked him why. So here's what I've learned:

For breakfast he orders 3 scrambled eggs and coffee. Nothing else! Why? "Eggs are protean and that's what you need in the morning before a long ride, and coffee is a stimulant". "Avoid bread, it makes you sleepy and greasy foods just sit on your stomach". Huh, says I.

For lunch he usually has a dinner salad and sometimes soup. Why? "You just need to fill your stomach to hold you over til dinner. Too much at lunch and you get sleepy an hour later". Yep, that's me.

Note that by dinner we are at our destination for the night and all hell breaks lose eating- and drinking-wise.

So I have adopted these evil ways and I must say that they work really well. BTW I slip a lot and order bacon with breakfast.

Interested in other's experiences.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    Hi,
    I am a relatively new rider - 4 years ago I bought my first big bike - but I like road trips of 1,500 to 3,000 mile over a week or two. I ride with all kinds of nuts like many of you on this forum. We usually start the day out with a big breakfast (say, chicken-fried steak) and equally big lunches (burger, french dip, fries) a couple of hours later. The last 10 years or so (I am currently 62) I have found that I get huge 'sleepy time attacks' about 30-60 minutes after these horse-sized meals. (Technically I believe the carbos turn into sugars and make one tired or some such bio-magic). So one of my nut/riding friends is *really smart* and eats a bit different and I've asked him why. So here's what I've learned:

For breakfast he orders 3 scrambled eggs and coffee. Nothing else! Why? "Eggs are protean and that's what you need in the morning before a long ride, and coffee is a stimulant". "Avoid bread, it makes you sleepy and greasy foods just sit on your stomach". Huh, says I.

For lunch he usually has a dinner salad and sometimes soup. Why? "You just need to fill your stomach to hold you over til dinner. Too much at lunch and you get sleepy an hour later". Yep, that's me.

Note that by dinner we are at our destination for the night and all hell breaks lose eating- and drinking-wise.

So I have adopted these evil ways and I must say that they work really well. BTW I slip a lot and order bacon with breakfast.

That's really good advise. I tend to have some similar habits but normally if we are leaving pretty early all I will have is some orange juice or something really small in the morning (cant drink coffee because it goes right threw me lol)

For lunch I do cheat a bit and eat a mid size meal, especially since breakfast is usually really like but I try to stay away from really greasy foods

For dinner I don't hold anything back lol

Hi,
    We usually start the day out with a big breakfast (say, chicken-fried steak) and equally big lunches (burger, french dip, fries) a couple of hours later.
    Keep it simple and light. You can stop as many times as you see fit to rest, refuel, rehydrate and recycle, and at those times eat a light snack. Yup big meals are not necessary and as you have discovered, not good for you either.

Breakfast eat as a king, lunch as a prince, dinner as a pauper ...Doctor recommended !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Breakfast eat as a king, lunch as a prince, dinner as a pauper ...Doctor recommended !
    So true.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Hard to do when you're me.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

If I'm riding I'm probably going someplace to eat. If I'm speeding it's probably because I'm hungry. If I'm not riding it's probably because I ate too much. If I ate too much then I'm probably napping,
    Retirement is good but probably fattening!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    If I'm riding I'm probably going someplace to eat. If I'm speeding it's probably because I'm hungry. If I'm not riding it's probably because I ate too much. If I ate too much then I'm probably napping,
    Retirement is good but probably fattening!
    Ditto Bob.I live by this motto:And by the way doctors have killed many people with there advise-I know I have out lived almost all my thin friends!003.jpg

check out the IBA page for eating ideas

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

I'm not saying I subscribe to these radical thoughts, but here is their advice

14. Eat healthful foods.
    Fast foods and a big road trip are a bad combination, but realizing that this is the real world,
    try these time-proven combinations:
    In the mornings stick to oatmeal, cereals or one egg with toast (no butter please!).
    Lunch should be skipped in favor of a light, healthful snack.
    Dinner should include a salad with a light pasta dish (quickly and readily available at the long distance riders all-time place to hate; Dennys and most Wendys).

If all else fails, our motto is, "If you can't eat right at least try and eat light!" Consider having a freshly made Subway sandwich instead of that grease-dripping Quarter-Pounder!

Hi,

I've been a long-haul rider for many, many years.
    What's stated above is fairly sound advice and one I follow as well.
    Everyb9dy's body is somewhat different, but I adhere closely with the above, especially if I know it's gonna be a 700+ mile day.
    Sleepy nods on a bike are the bell toll of death IMHO.