One-Stop GL1800 Intercom, Bluetooth, Inter-Communications Thread

Thread: One-Stop GL1800 Intercom, Bluetooth, Inter-Communications Thread

Question One-Stop GL1800 Intercom, Bluetooth, Inter-Communications Thread

I hope something similar to this hasn't been started, i did a search and didn't really see anything though i am a complete newbie to this, I likely mis-searchd. I really would like to have an open forum to discuss options, and things to consider along with proven technologies/manufactures.

Can someone explain to me what the intercom button does on our bikes (i assume i know, though never used one before), how does your passenger plug in to the i-com (i haven't seen a connection for the rear).

What is the best method of having excellent sounding audio in your helmet and the ability to control the audio volume & source selection from bikes controls?

What about when i want to talk to my rider, or say a buddy rider thats on a trip?

I have never used a I-Com system, please help me and the other newbies discover some of these connections that the GL offers. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildracing22 View Post
    I hope something similar to this hasn't been started, i did a search and didn't really see anything though i am a complete newbie to this, I likely mis-searchd. I really would like to have an open forum to discuss options, and things to consider along with proven technologies/manufactures.

Can someone explain to me what the intercom button does on our bikes (i assume i know, though never used one before), how does your passenger plug in to the i-com (i haven't seen a connection for the rear).

What is the best method of having excellent sounding audio in your helmet and the ability to control the audio volume & source selection from bikes controls?

What about when i want to talk to my rider, or say a buddy rider thats on a trip?

I have never used a I-Com system, please help me and the other newbies discover some of these connections that the GL offers. Thanks!
    The passenger connection is under the seat you will need to add a pigtail cable

Just need headsets and turn the intercom on and you can talk its that simple, not that good of a system does not have noise canceling but it works.

There really is not an excellent sound quality in a helmet but you can get it pretty good you might want to consider good earbuds if legal in your state
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

I haven't tried this yet, but I have the Sena SMH10 bluetooth headsets. I know I can pair the phone to the Sena. But I need to see if I can still use the OEM to control switching to different songs while plugged into the USB port in the saddlebag and control the volume by the Jog dial on the Sena.

Have you tried that yet Pete?

As Pete said, you won't get "perfect" audio sound in the helmet, but the Sena is better than OEM and the intercom is clearest I found yet.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    I haven't tried this yet, but I have the Sena SMH10 bluetooth headsets. I know I can pair the phone to the Sena. But I need to see if I can still use the OEM to control switching to different songs while plugged into the USB port in the saddlebag and control the volume by the Jog dial on the Sena.

Have you tried that yet Pete?

As Pete said, you won't get "perfect" audio sound in the helmet, but the Sena is better than OEM and the intercom is clearest I found yet.
    Just buy an SM10 module for the bike and headset conversion cable (we have both) this will bring the sound from the bike to the headset like a cable
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

I have Cardo Scala Rider equipment, soon to be upgraded to G9 sets.

I currently have Scala Rider Q2 headsets. They are bluetooth and wireless. They provide intercom for 2-up riding plus bike-to-bike communication for up to one other set (pairing with up to two sets total) with up to a one mile range (line of sight). The G9 sets will provide continuous intercom with up to four other sets and up to nine sets with voice-activated intercom. I've found that even on long trips, you don't need much more range than one mile. They will sync to your smart phone for hands-free, voice-activated cell phone use. They will sync to your gps for turn-by-turn navigation, too. The G9 sets will sync tomyour iPod for wireless music.

They also have a wired cord that plugs into your iPod/mp3 player for music. You can listen to your music and it will automatically be overridden by (in this order of priority): 1) gps 2) cell phone incoming call 3) intercom or bike-to-bike comm.

There is also an adaptor that EC sells that you can use to plug into your Wing radio instead of your iPod. Your can control your volume on your iPod by manually controlling it or by purchasing a remote from Monster, which I also have. The remote is on my handlebars and allows me to pause, adjust the volume, skip a song, or repeat a song. No way to jump from playlist to playlist. With the F6B's capability via the USB connection, the Monster remote is rarely used.

The system for two Q2 sets is around $260. The Monster remote is about $20. The G9 sets are about $290 for one set/$520 for two.

The headsets are easy to install into a full-face or 3/4 helmet. Not recommended for an open-face helmet because of wind noise and positioning the speakers and mike boom.

I've done some repositioning of the speakers in my helmet to get the right clarity/volume for cell phone calls. Oh yeah - it also has fm radio, but it ain't worth spit.

Positives: wireless, less expensive than a CB and wired headsets. Also, I have a 3/4 helmet and today took two phone calls. The folks on the other end had no idea I was on my bike. Negatives: price (but the best out there IMO)

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. As I said, I'm gonna upgrade to G9 sets this winter.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use Sena SMH10 units paired to both my iPhone and a Garmin Zumo. This gives me intercom, music or phone from the iPhone, Sat radio or MP3 music from the Zumo as well as weather alerts. And now with update 4.2.RC1 we get simultaneous music streaming to both rider and passenger without needing a SM10 duel Bluetooth streamer. All without the need for wires, and as a bonus we have bike to bike with our friends up to 1/2 mile away. I did change out my in helmet speakers for ones with larger magnets and better bass. I am very happy with them.