Need advise on rear tire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise on rear tire

Need advise on rear tire

Discovered today, after a short ride, that some kind of nail or screw,(round head and flat) is buried in the center of my rear tire flush with the tread..Have about 9450 miles on tire and it still has a lot of meat left...Sorry not able to post pictures....but my dealer, or the only one I trust is 125 miles away..He has the new Dunlop E-4 in stock and I would like to go to this tire..Do I dare risk riding that far with the object in my tire or try to have my son plug it until I can get to dealer...Called a few local places, thay will not plug motorcycle tires and at present I have no way to trailer the thing to the dealer...If I chance it, I plan to ride back roads at a slower pace and have my wife follow me in the car....Any advise or suggestions if welcome.....Thanks and ride safe....I am 76 and not able to get tire off bike so I am kinda stuck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Discovered today, after a short ride, that some kind of nail or screw,(round head and flat) is buried in the center of my rear tire flush with the tread..Have about 9450 miles on tire and it still has a lot of meat left...Sorry not able to post pictures....but my dealer, or the only one I trust is 125 miles away..He has the new Dunlop E-4 in stock and I would like to go to this tire..Do I dare risk riding that far with the object in my tire or try to have my son plug it until I can get to dealer...Called a few local places, thay will not plug motorcycle tires and at present I have no way to trailer the thing to the dealer...If I chance it, I plan to ride back roads at a slower pace and have my wife follow me in the car....Any advise or suggestions if welcome.....Thanks and ride safe....I am 76 and not able to get tire off bike so I am kinda stuck!!!
    If you plan to have the wife follow in the car... why not just take the wheel and tire off the bike and carry it in the car to the dealer for the new tire?
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

I rode from OKC to Houston, 470 miles with a nail. Not advisable but I had few options. Take a pressure check, ride 30 miles, take a pressure check, ride 30 miles, take a pressure check. That was my advice from shooter and it worked. Walmart sells the plugs you can do by yourself. Be careful whatever your choice is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Plug it

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    Opas if its not losing any air now I think you can ride it.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8928-First-screw-job
    Check this thread, especially the beginning. I plugged this tire and rode it for about a week. No issues, at least 500 miles, if not more. If the plug goes in tight and feels good and solid, I'd ride it.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    If you plan to have the wife follow in the car... why not just take the wheel and tire off the bike and carry it in the car to the dealer for the new tire?
    That's why

The big issue with a Rear tire going flat as you ride, is the slower speed. At a higher speed you will feel the tire go soft and the rear wiggle a bit, BUT as you get to a very low speed with a flat rear tire, if the bead breaks the rear will wobble back forth and I have seen guys go down trying to get stopped. You already have 9400 miles in it and I am willing to bet that carcass is pretty thin already and not going to hold up well to running soft.

My suggestion is to flip someone a few bucks to help you remove the tire from the bike and get the tire swapped.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

plug it and forget about it. I rode about 7000 miles on a tire I plugged. Deflate the tire. Watch a YouTube video and plug it. Wait several hour to inflate. Check for leaks. Go for small ride. Check again. If no leaks forget about it and ride.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    That's why
    Well, shut my mouth! Obviously I missed that.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"