Trying a new Darkside on the B...Bridgestone Driveguard Runflat.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying a new Darkside on the B...Bridgestone Driveguard Runflat.

Trying a new Darkside on the B...Bridgestone Driveguard Runflat.

If anyone has read my message on the General Board, they will know my OEM back tire
    blew a sidewall after a plug let go and the tire got hot.

I've been looking over my options and decided to go with a Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat.

It seems to have mostly good reviews by the cagers who've used them. I'm not advocating anyone else run out and get one-yet. I should be able to get mine mounted in the next few days and then I'll give some reports after that.

It has an AA rating and is only gonna cost me $115 from my local Flatso's to check it out.

If anyone wants to check out the ratings/reviews, specs...here's a link from Tirerack.
    Scroll all the way down and you can see it has pretty good traction ratings and it's got a very good overall rating.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=DriveGuard
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

It looks like it will be another great tire !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I'm running a Bridgestone Potenza runflat and it works pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post

If anyone wants to check out the ratings/reviews, specs...here's a link from Tirerack.
    Scroll all the way down and you can see it has pretty good traction ratings and it's got a very good overall rating.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=DriveGuard
    Very interesting looking tire, I await your report after you get a few hundred miles on it.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Very interesting looking tire, I await your report after you get a few hundred miles on it.

BIGLRY, I ran a Yokohama Avid Envigor on my Valkyrie Interstate for two years and mounted many of my tires myself with my Harbor Freight tire changer. This tire I took to an independent bike shop which had an automatic changer. With that said, the runflat was a bite to get installed on the rim. It took a couple guys to hold that stiff sidewall with spoons but she finally popped on.

I'm not sure if I'll put another run flat on, but the price of this tire was pretty easy on the wallet at 115 bucks. As I mentioned in another post, I think I'll opt for a Bluetooth tpm.

It also wasn't easy getting the tire to clear for the install. I first tried it aired up to 34psi and then pulled the valve core and tried it. I really think the runflat sidewalls contributed to the issue. I finally pulled the left exhaust and it gave me the clearance I needed.

Here's what she looks like all mounted up. The Honda book method wasn't bad to do at all. I wanted to try the worst case scenario way. Next time I'll try the layover. I pretty much had a full tank and that's why I opted for the Honda method. I'm glad I did since it took 2 days to get the tire in and mounted. Didn't want the bike to sit that long on it's side.

I have a Driveguard on my F6B with about 15,500 miles on it so far, looks to go at least another 6k-7k. I have used it to travel on a 7500 mile trip from FL to NC to CO & UT OH WV last summer. I have a second rim from a 2014 G-Wing from ebay I use and lay the bike on its side. Then put a thin white plastic trash bag on top of tire and it squeezes right in. Is a little tough without the bag. Most of the miles on the bike were loaded down with camping gear on a rear rack which probably shortened the tread life a little. I have ceramic beads 3-oz, and it stays in perfect balance all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I'm running a Bridgestone Potenza runflat and it works pretty well.
    Ordered it yesterday!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    I have a Driveguard on my F6B with about 15,500 miles on it so far, looks to go at least another 6k-7k. I have used it to travel on a 7500 mile trip from FL to NC to CO & UT OH WV last summer. I have a second rim from a 2014 G-Wing from ebay I use and lay the bike on its side. Then put a thin white plastic trash bag on top of tire and it squeezes right in. Is a little tough without the bag. Most of the miles on the bike were loaded down with camping gear on a rear rack which probably shortened the tread life a little. I have ceramic beads 3-oz, and it stays in perfect balance all the time.
    Appreciate your reply, Felloverboard, especially since you're the pioneer who's the first I know of to run this tire. I have a couple questions if you can steer me in the right direction. You mentioned having a second rim. Is that to mount your next tire on so it's ready to go?

Laying the bike on it's side might alleviate the problem I had with tire height while trying to get the tire into position with the Honda method of having the bike straight up on the center stand. I first tried with the tire aired up and then with the valve core removed and tire deflated. I had the amp basket removed from it's mount and up out of the way. It was only after removing the left exhaust that I had the clearance to tilt the tire and get it up in.

What is the sweet spot for pressure with this tire, in your opinion? I ran the tire 100 miles tonight and it leans over very easily. For this ride I tried 42 psi and there was good response but naturally the tire was pretty stiff. I might try the other end of the spectrum and go down to 30 for the next ride.

I'd appreciate any feedback from fellow runflatters on pressure that works for them--not only for comfort but for best wear also.

Thanks

The trash bag worked for me as well !!! My new Dunlop is going to be a great tire!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    I don't know what the deal is on getting the tire in. I air it up to 40 and it goes right in. Don't deflate it. The tire is wider with the air out of it. When you air it up tight it makes it taller which makes the sidewalls straighter and thus narrower. I've done it on the G-Max and the Alpin. Not just once or twice. A half dozen times.