Man I love retirement - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man I love retirement

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    The second happiest time in a man's life is when he gets his first boat...the first is when he sells it!

As a past certified USCG Capt. with a OUPV(Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel) endorsement for 50 ton or less for over 30 years I have had my share of boats and various other things that men take to the sea with and the above statement is very true.
    You speaketh the truth. My last boat was a 28ft. Winner Cabin Cruiser, inboard with a Chrysler 318 (great engine) - bought it, replaced all the gauges, replaced all the wood with Starboard and composite, ripped out and redid the galley and the head, redid all the rails, fixed the radar and the leaks ... just in time to sell it - for a loss. Took it out maybe 8 times in a year 4 times with my wife (then she had enough, son moved to Fla.) the rest by myself. Most of the time I went there and took an afternoon nap and came home.

Break O​ut Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    The second happiest time in a man's life is when he gets his first boat...the first is when he sells it!

As a past certified USCG Capt. with a OUPV(Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel) endorsement for 50 ton or less for over 30 years I have had my share of boats and various other things that men take to the sea with and the above statement is very true.
    A"BOAT"??? Isn't that a hole in the water into which a man pours money?

I don't no. I ran my last boat for 25 years (a custom built Bruno-Stillman) Made good money with her over the years and finally sold her for $30,000 more then what I paid for her. Lucky for me that was 3 months before the cost of diesel went from $1.00 a gallon to $3.00 a gallon but who knew?
    Now fully retired for 9 years I have the time to clean my 16 footer. The cost of gas is negligible but the cost of libation while cleaning keeps going up.
    But who needs money when you don't have to drive to work every morning and you like eating fish?

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    A"BOAT"??? Isn't that a hole in the water into which a man pours money?
    As opposed to an "ex-wife" which is a hole on land that you poured money into and couldn't get anything for it on a trade-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    I don't no. I ran my last boat for 25 years (a custom built Bruno-Stillman) Made good money with her over the years and finally sold her for $30,000 more then what I paid for her. Lucky for me that was 3 months before the cost of diesel went from $1.00 a gallon to $3.00 a gallon but who knew?
    Now fully retired for 9 years I have the time to clean my 16 footer. The cost of gas is negligible but the cost of libation while cleaning keeps going up.
    But who needs money when you don't have to drive to work every morning and you like eating fish?
    Do you have that guy's number because I have a 2013 F6B with 20,000 miles on it that I can sell him for a bargain at $25,000. If I had to get another boat, despite what my wife says, it would be a 20 ft. Seaswirl Walkaround with a 200hp e-tec, all I need.

...retirement...

What day of the week is it?
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    August, I think? Maybe?

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    If it weren't for my watch I wouldn't know the Month, date, day of the week or the time...
    Though retired since 2010 I'm busier now than I was when working, doesn't seem like enough hours in the day to get everything done..........Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Practice

As of July 1st I'll have 12 years of practice at "retirement" Like others, I'm busier now than I've ever been. My Calendar has Saturdays and Sundays only and each is filled with activities which keeps the mind and body occupied and busy. Life is good and enjoying each day is my goal

Retired and own 2 kayaks and my F6B. I'm happy.