First screw job
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First screw job

First screw job

Hard day at work, come to get the bike. I try to roll it outside and it isn't moving. I put it back, center stand it, there's a nice screw right in the middle of the rear tire, and it's flat. It's plugged and aired up. Will check tomorrow. It's like new and I'm going to try to ride it out.
    Seadog....upon close inspection, I do have some flattening similar to you. Not as pronounced, but I can feel it. You're not alone!
    Attachment 21503
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Hard day at work, come to get the bike. I try to roll it outside and it isn't moving. I put it back, center stand it, there's a nice screw right in the middle of the rear tire, and it's flat. It's plugged and aired up. Will check tomorrow. It's like new and I'm going to try to ride it out.
    Seadog....upon close inspection, I do have some flattening similar to you. Not as pronounced, but I can feel it. You're not alone!
    Plugged right, I doubt you'll have any issues! Been doing it for years! My procedure is to remove the screw/nail observing the angle it entered the tire. I then run the plug rasp through the puncture hole several times, at the same angle, while twisting the rasp. Place the plug strip in the application tool, apply some tire cement insert the plug, give a 1/4 turn twist of the t-handle and give a steady smooth pull of the tool. The twist of the plug creates a sort of "knot head" and helps the plug from moving. Never any "air leakage" issues with this procedure

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Plugged right, I doubt you'll have any issues! Been doing it for years! My procedure is to remove the screw/nail observing the angle it entered the tire. I then run the plug rasp through the puncture hole several times, at the same angle, while twisting the rasp. Place the plug strip in the application tool, apply some tire cement insert the plug, give a 1/4 turn twist of the t-handle and give a steady smooth pull of the tool. The twist of the plug creates a sort of "knot head" and helps the plug from moving. Never any "air leakage" issues with this procedure
    I did it pretty much like you said Bob. The directions say not to turn it, but I did, from past experience. I won't use it now until Thursday, so hoping it sets up and holds tight. That tire has over 7,800 miles on it, and looks good yet...hate to dump it now.

I am trying more pressure

Attachment 21503
    More pressure straightened out the 250 Dunlop on my nine so I am going up a couple of pounds at a time. I have 43 in it right now and am going for about 2000 miles per test to see if anything looks better. If it starts to improve I will go to 45 pound on the next 2000 mile test.

Sorry to hear about the screwing you got. The riding you have been doing, you should have that tire warn out in no time anyway.

Before I purposely put on a flattened tire my original stock tire was becoming flatted with only 4000 mi and I was running 42psi.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

If I can get the summer out of it, I have a new set for the trip to Arkansas. If it needs to go sooner, it will. I don't want to get stuck out on the road, but I see a lot more use in it yet. I have a friend with a 109 and he got a summer out of a plugged rear tire. I have a plug kit for this purpose so it's going to use right now.

Attachment 21503
    If I'm hearing what you're saying correctly…that is, running the tire for a prolong period with a plug in it…I'd say no way bro! if this were a car I'd say no problem. Could it last the life of the tire, yeah sure. But are you willing to risk your life for the cost of a motorcycle tire? I know it sucks (I've been in the exact same situation - $300 tire didn't even have 100 miles on it)…PLEASE, replace the friggin tire!! JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Slammd View Post
    If I'm hearing what you're saying correctly…that is, running the tire for a prolong period with a plug in it…I'd say no way bro! if this were a car I'd say no problem. Could it last the life of the tire, yeah sure. But are you willing to risk your life for the cost of a motorcycle tire? I know it sucks (I've been in the exact same situation - $300 tire didn't even have 100 miles on it)…PLEASE, replace the friggin tire!! JMHO

No you are wrong. There's no issue with putting a plug in that area of the tread; of his rear M/C tire. I've done the same thing and that plug will hold for the usable life of the tire.

He will have no issues at all.

Bob109 initially posed the procedure on how to correctly plug a tire... that's the way I have done it as well.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

This is EXACTLY why I use Ride on....pull/unscrew the screw, ride around the block and start laughing !!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Previous Statement still applys

Attachment 21503
    Its totally up to you but I have stated in the past that if I get a nail or a screw in the tire I will plug it long enough to get to a place to replace that tire immediately. You only have one life and two tires keeping that life safe, I agree with anyone that says to replace that tire as soon as you can. Your life is worth more than the money spent on a new tire. JMHO