2016 Harley-Davidson FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra meet up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Harley-Davidson FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra meet up

2016 Harley-Davidson FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra meet up

Well I have 688 miles on my 2016 Deluxe. I can honestly say I'm in love with this machine. Ive put on the Socalmoto gear LEDs in the headlamps, their smoked switchbacks, their rear LEDS and show chrome fogs to be installed this weekend. Also did Dirtstiffs JBL speaker upgrade and OKF6B sold me his Clearview 14inc shield, and I got a little 11inch CeeBailey for the summer around town. Looks cool. I was leaving work (I'm a liquor store manager) and a customer pulled up on his 2016 Harley-Davidson® FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra® .

I was curious about his bike, having owned a VTX1800 retro I'm still cool with the cruiser look, but this Harley tries to be a touring / cruiser / show bike. I struck up a conversation with him. I told him I had just purchased the F6B a month ago, and I did not even consider a Harley because it was out of my price range. I asked him what made him choose the CVO. He said he had owned a 2002 Goldwing , but his friends had given him shit because it wasn't a Harley. I guessed it was a $34,000 bike. He was quick to correct me - it was only $ 39,000. I wondered what could all that money buy that was superior to the B.

He ran thru the features of the comm/audio system first. The feature set is really impressive, touchscreen with xm , Bluetooth stock helmet coms, Nav, and the most incredible factory stereo I've ever heard, bike or a car. I consider myself an audiophile, I have a really cool home theater system with a projector and a 109 inch screen, a SACD player ect ect. It was my hobby before I got back into motorcycles 5years ago. The Harley audio system was , well, jawdropping. His source was just FM. He cranked it up to painful levels but it was really clean, no distortion. Even with my upgraded JBLs, my stereo was poor in comparison, with a mp3 thumb drive source. I was thinking ok Chris, your comparing your $18000 F6b to a $39,000 Harley. Then he pointed out the radiators in the fairing. A water cooled engine? No he said it was for the heads only. And the motor was a 110 cu inch, which is a 1803. It didn't look as big as the VTX motor, but the VTX was designed as a water cooled motor, I think the Harley was an engineered add on. I didn't get to ride the Harley but I could see the limited travel of the rear suspension.
    It could be better the the F6B / Goldwing suspension but I doubt it. So I'm thinking the Harley should be better in some aspects as it costs more than twice as much. I bet Jimmytees stereo sounds Justas good as the Harley CVO, and he didn't spend $20,000 on the stereo. Did he? I hear its pretty nice

.Attachment 21703 Attachment 21704

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Well I have 688 miles on my 2016 Deluxe. I can honestly say I'm in love with this machine. Ive put on the Socalmoto gear LEDs in the headlamps, their smoked switchbacks, their rear LEDS and show chrome fogs to be installed this weekend. Also did Dirtstiffs JBL speaker upgrade and OKF6B sold me his Clearview 14inc shield, and I got a little 11inch CeeBailey for the summer around town. Looks cool. I was leaving work (I'm a liquor store manager) and a customer pulled up on his 2016 Harley-Davidson® FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra® .

I was curious about his bike, having owned a VTX1800 retro I'm still cool with the cruiser look, but this Harley tries to be a touring / cruiser / show bike. I struck up a conversation with him. I told him I had just purchased the F6B a month ago, and I did not even consider a Harley because it was out of my price range. I asked him what made him choose the CVO. He said he had owned a 2002 Goldwing , but his friends had given him shit because it wasn't a Harley. I guessed it was a $34,000 bike. He was quick to correct me - it was only $ 39,000. I wondered what could all that money buy that was superior to the B.

He ran thru the features of the comm/audio system first. The feature set is really impressive, touchscreen with xm , Bluetooth stock helmet coms, Nav, and the most incredible factory stereo I've ever heard, bike or a car. I consider myself an audiophile, I have a really cool home theater system with a projector and a 109 inch screen, a SACD player ect ect. It was my hobby before I got back into motorcycles 5years ago. The Harley audio system was , well, jawdropping. His source was just FM. He cranked it up to painful levels but it was really clean, no distortion. Even with my upgraded JBLs, my stereo was poor in comparison, with a mp3 thumb drive source. I was thinking ok Chris, your comparing your $18000 F6b to a $39,000 Harley. Then he pointed out the radiators in the fairing. A water cooled engine? No he said it was for the heads only. And the motor was a 110 cu inch, which is a 1803. It didn't look as big as the VTX motor, but the VTX was designed as a water cooled motor, I think the Harley was an engineered add on. I didn't get to ride the Harley but I could see the limited travel of the rear suspension.
    It could be better the the F6B / Goldwing suspension but I doubt it. So I'm thinking the Harley should be better in some aspects as it costs more than twice as much. I bet Jimmytees stereo sounds Justas good as the Harley CVO, and he didn't spend $20,000 on the stereo. Did he? I hear its pretty nice

.Attachment 21703 Attachment 21704
    Cooling the heads on a CVO is like shooting a water gun at a bonfire.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post

Cooling the heads on a CVO is like shooting a water gun at a bonfire.
    So So True an alot of HD owner,s are having leaking problems with the new heads

Jimmy T's stereo ROCKS! And he can control it from his phone, pretty awesome! AND it's faster than that CVO too. LOL
    Lake City Honda
    Warsaw, IN

ALWAYS WANTED ONE / HARLEY THAT IS

I always wanted a Harley so in 2012 a bought a new Ultra classic paid about $26.900.00 for it and put about another $7000.00 on it with extras. It was the biggest mistate of my life. This bike ran so hot it would roast you like a pig at a four minute traffic light. It ran good and was comfortable enough but the heat was a huge factor for me. The dealer told me to install exhaust and this would cool the bike down. It did not cool it down by adding the exhaust. I just could not ride it with all that heat. It was a big lesson learned. Luck have it i still have my 98 Tourer and i'am looking for a F6B. I could of had two F6B's for what i paid for the Harley. It took 9 months to sell it and i took a huge loss on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post

.......He ran thru the features of the comm/audio system first. The feature set is really impressive, touchscreen with xm , Bluetooth stock helmet coms, Nav, and the most incredible factory stereo I've ever heard......

This time around, I seriously considered Harley. It's about the only Major I haven't owned in my life....that and Indian (unless you include the Indian Four my father left to me). But, I'm with you....45k for a CVO Ultra Limited, and nearly as much for a CVO Road Glide, is just downright robbery. Especially considering you're buying a bike full of 70's technology...and the attendant service and operational troubles which that includes.

I never regretted ultimately passing on the HD. Now, I later seriously considered an Indian Dark Horse. Not so happy I passed there. BUT, I DO love my '15 Matte Silver Deluxe...albeit for different reasons than I would have loved the DarkHorse.

The one thing I WILL grant is that the H-D audio electronics are indeed much better than Honda. This is because Honda introduced the current audio pack back when?....2002?...somewhere in there. And, they've sat on their butts and not done a thing in that arena since. They've been passed up over time...and they don't care. The recent troubles that many of us have had of late with regard to the iPod/iPhone-to-USB interface are a prime example of this apathy.

Not only has Honda sat around with their craniums inserted rectally....but when approached about this issue, they brush it off and make all sorts of accusations in an attempt to dodge the matter and create subterfuge. Anything to avoid having to actually do something about it.

While I love my F6, Honda needs to make a serious decision about whether they still want to play with the big boys.....or just become an industry joke in much the same way as Bose has become in the world of Consumer Audio. And if they decide to fall off the fence in the proper direction, they need to make it retrofit-able. Because there are a number of us that feel we have been ignored and lied to and are still waiting to get everything for which we have paid.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Heavvyduty View Post
    So So True an alot of HD owner,s are having leaking problems with the new heads
    If you take the lowers off you can reduce the operating temp 12-15 degrees, geniuses. My buddy just bought a Victory Vision having the same heat issue. He even took a test ride on an F6B, loved it, but couldn't bring himself around to buying a Honda. Form over function will come back to burn you every time.

The one thing I'd like to say about the Harley's is they are years ahead in throttle technology.They been using fly by wire for years. They are far ahead of the rest of the manufactures on this one.. That's the only real negative I've found my F6B...Throttle cables, Really, talk about dinosaurs, come on Japan get your shit together with fly by wire like the rest of the world. I do miss the fly by wire and cruise control....That being said I'd never go back just for the superior throttle control..I love the F6B power and now the handling since I installed tapered neck bearings......................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

A co-worker of mine has one of these CVO Ultra whatever's. He had one of the first ones from what it sounds like. 20K and the counter weight came off it's taper on the crank, conveniently they claimed it was wear and tear and wouldn't honor his warranty. Wouldn't give him squat on a trade in, so he ended up paying a hefty price for a new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    The one thing I'd like to say about the Harley's is they are years ahead in throttle technology.They been using fly by wire for years. They are far ahead of the rest of the manufactures on this one.. That's the only real negative I've found my F6B...Throttle cables, Really, talk about dinosaurs, come on Japan get your shit together with fly by wire like the rest of the world. I do miss the fly by wire and cruise control....That being said I'd never go back just for the superior throttle control..I love the F6B power and now the handling since I installed tapered neck bearings......................Dickie
    There are quite a lot of other bikes with fly-by-wire throttles, just not the wings. I personally don't have a problem with the cables.

Hell, Harley only recently went to a hydraulic actuated clutch.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"