Dyna beads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyna beads

Dyna beads

I have hear of people having problems with dyna-beads. Them getting into the air stem valve and causing leaks. The best way to handle that is before checking your air pressure in the tire, take your air line and just a short blast of air into the tire will clear any beads that might be in the valve stem. I have done this for 8 years of running Dyna-beads and have never had a problem with them causing a valve stem air leak.
    The other problem I have heard of is installing the beads. The problem is when you let air out of the tire rapidly it creates moisture right at the stem and when pouring in the beads they get caught in the moisture creating a blockage. The simple solution is the let the air out slowly over a period of time so the moisture doesn't build up. Then with the applicator bottle just pouring slowly the beads flow in without jamming up in the valve stem. The beads are the best way to balance out a tire without spending an arm or a leg on the results. The beads balance the tire continuously for the life of the tire. Compensating for all the wear of the tire. Something clamp on weights cannot do.

+1 on the above.
    One can sometimes use a screened valve to prevent the beads from jamming the valve seat.
    One can also use a pipe cleaner to dry and clean the stem prior to adding the beads.

I had them in my tires on the 109 with no troubles. I'm hoping for a smooth ride today, because tomorrow might be a 650 mile day and I don't need the shakes for 450 of them!
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

My Experiences

Been using the beads for a few years and they work well. I have a Valkyrie Interstate with a difficult to balance front wheel and the beads smoothed it out. I've been concerned about what might happen if I plug a tire with the sticky string plugs. I'd think the beads would stick to the plug inside and unbalance the tire. Has anyone had that happen?

If you have read my posts

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Been using the beads for a few years and they work well. I have a Valkyrie Interstate with a difficult to balance front wheel and the beads smoothed it out. I've been concerned about what might happen if I plug a tire with the sticky string plugs. I'd think the beads would stick to the plug inside and unbalance the tire. Has anyone had that happen?
    You would know I would be heading for a replacement tire immediately as I would never trust a plugged tire. Like I have said, you have your life and two tires protecting that life, make sure they are up to the task at all times.

Tire Plugs

I've ridden far over a half-million miles and worn out well over 100 motorcycle tires. I've plugged a few dozen of them and the worst thing that ever happened was that one developed a slow leak. If tire plugs were as dangerous as some have claimed they wouldn't be sold -- the lawyers would see to that!

I recently added TPMS to my F6B and now feel more confident about my tires, plugged or not. BTW, the current rear tire has 2 plugs (!) and the pressure hasn't budged in 3,000 miles. The TPMS unit I bought even shows temperatures so you have an extra bit of information. It's interesting to see how much pressure and temperature increases as you ride.

So back to my original question: has anyone plugged a tire while using Dyna Beads? And if so, did an imbalance result from the beads accumulating around the plug? My current plugged rear is on a spare wheel not using the beads.

I also have a question, I do my own tire changes so would taking the tire off the rim create a mess?

No Mess

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    I also have a question, I do my own tire changes so would taking the tire off the rim create a mess?
    I can answer that one. The beads have always stayed in the tire when I changed it. To retrieve them, I use an envelope. Open the flap, lay it inside the tire, and roll the tire. Nearly every bead will be nicely captured in the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I can answer that one. The beads have always stayed in the tire when I changed it. To retrieve them, I use an envelope. Open the flap, lay it inside the tire, and roll the tire. Nearly every bead will be nicely captured in the envelope.
    Cool! thanks all for the tips

Bead $$$

It's nice to be able to reuse the beads because the price they charge is ridiculous. As far as I can tell the stuff is just ceramic proppant, used by the oil & gas industry in hydraulic fracturing. A typical frac job might use 5 million pounds and in those quantities I think the cost is much less than a buck a pound.