Darkside and trailer towing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkside and trailer towing?

Quote Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
    Steve, is there a benefit to the lower psi? Just a softer ride?
    I would not say the ride is softer at all...my reason is to get equal wear on the tire. The normal tire pressure of most mid sized cars is around 32 psi. Some now are higher due to smaller side walls. The wife's Edge Sport has a psi of 50. The tires on my truck 90. The psi generally increases as the weight of the vehicle increases or the side wall decreases. A CT on a MCY is generally carrying 1/2 or less of its ability. So when we raise the pressure, the tire now has a crown on it and the center of the tire wears out long before the outsides. On a RF the sides are much stiffer, therefore requiring less psi to hold up such a small weight. I am sure you have read where folks posted they are running 40 psi on a reg CT, generally this is caused by a sidewall of less strength. A lot of debate on the subject, I am posting from experience not a book or some phobia. YMMV. Just an opinion !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I would not say the ride is softer at all...my reason is to get equal wear on the tire. The normal tire pressure of most mid sized cars is around 32 psi. Some now are higher due to smaller side walls. The wife's Edge Sport has a psi of 50. The tires on my truck 90. The psi generally increases as the weight of the vehicle increases or the side wall decreases. A CT on a MCY is generally carrying 1/2 or less of its ability. So when we raise the pressure, the tire now has a crown on it and the center of the tire wears out long before the outsides. On a RF the sides are much stiffer, therefore requiring less psi to hold up such a small weight. I am sure you have read where folks posted they are running 40 psi on a reg CT, generally this is caused by a sidewall of less strength. A lot of debate on the subject, I am posting from experience not a book or some phobia. YMMV. Just an opinion !
    Steve, that's an explanation that makes perfect sense. One of the benefits of running a CT is longer tread life so dropping the pressure to get rid of the crown is a logical strategy. I will drop the pressure to 32 psi and just keep an eye on the tread wear. I leave on July 11th on a solo trip that takes me out through the Dakotas down through Colorado, Utah and on to LA. After hanging with some good buds I used to work with at American Honda I head north up the coast to Portland, Oregon. My son and his wife live there and after a visit I point the bike east and back to Toronto. That should give me a good test of the new CT.
    Hey, if you're interested, I do this every year and you can check out my trip blog at: http://monetbridge.blogspot.ca
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Exploring the world, one road at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Have many miles towing my Bushtec w/my car tire F6b and no problems at 80 mph down the super slab. Have never weighed it, never checked tongue weight/percentage , will do that for Sturgis, with no issues.
    Me also... never weigh anything on the trailer !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com