My sticky transmission
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My sticky transmission

My sticky transmission

I am currently in the Blue Ridge Mountains and my transmission is acting funny. At times it gets stuck in gear going in a single direction. For instance if I am downshifting it may hang until I bump it in the direction of an up shift then it works fine. If I bump it with my foot and then get my foot out of the way it works much better. But if you are down or upshifting and leave your foot on the peg, then it sticks in that gear.

Anybody else have this problem?
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

how many miles on bike? Ever had any shifting problems before? Have you ever adjusted the shift lever height by moving shift lever on the splines of #12 or done anything with it other than shift? With the engine off, if you flick the lever in either direction, does it return to the centre position. This in any gear and also neutral?
    Take a look under the tupperware and see if there is anything touching the shift shaft #12. Otherwise it sounds as if there may be a problem somewhere in the shift drum selector like at part #11 or the return springs #14. As you can see in the diagram below there are many parts to the shift mechanism which may be causing your issues.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I think I have found the problem

I installed a DHS shifter linkage. The purpose of the linkage was to eliminate the slop and make a tighter connection. That it has done-----probably too much.

I guess it is time to replace it with an OEM. There is one on eBay. Will a 2001 model fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    I installed a DHS shifter linkage. The purpose of the linkage was to eliminate the slop and make a tighter connection. That it has done-----probably too much.

I guess it is time to replace it with an OEM. There is one on eBay. Will a 2001 model fit?
    Before I changed out the DHS linkage I would make sure the rod ends (heim joints) were clean and not sticking causing the issue. Maybe spray both of them with some carb cleaner or brake clean to be assured they are free and not hanging up. Also check the they are centered and have not become twisted and in a bind from a loose lock nut on the adjuster, they must have full rotation on their axes.

For those who have not seen it here is video of what the DHS shifter linkage does

http://www.dhsracing.com/Pictures/dhs-11252.mpg

I am currently in the Blue Ridge Mountains and my transmission is acting funny. At times it gets stuck in gear going in a single direction. For instance if I am downshifting it may hang until I bump it in the direction of an up shift then it works fine. If I bump it with my foot and then get my foot out of the way it works much better. But if you are down or upshifting and leave your foot on the peg, then it sticks in that gear.

Anybody else have this problem?
    I don't have this problem but I do have a question...are you 100% sure you are releasing the shifter fully after changing gears? What you are describing is what happens when you don't fully let the shifter return before shifting to the next gear. Sometimes, this happens when you are using different boots that you aren't used to. Any chance of that?
    Ken (Hornblower)

They are centered and straight. It took a lot of effort to get it right.

One thing I did notice today. The problem got worse with heat. In heavy traffic it was sticking all of the time in every gear. When I stopped forgot gas or lunch, it was fine for a while. Then back in traffic and heat, it started hanging again. On the open road at highway speed and back to normal. I am sue it comes and goes with excessive heat.

I make a conscious effort to keep my foot off if the shifter since this started. I am sure this is not it.

They are centered and straight. It took a lot of effort to get it right.

One thing I did notice today. The problem got worse with heat. In heavy traffic it was sticking all of the time in every gear. When I stopped forgot gas or lunch, it was fine for a while. Then back in traffic and heat, it started hanging again. On the open road at highway speed and back to normal. I am sue it comes and goes with excessive heat.
    Humm I'm very suspicious of them heim joints...like they might be to tight and having an issue in their ability to rotate once they get hot and they are right next to the headers too.

For sure putting an OEM set up back on will tell if they are the problem. If you reach down and twist the shaft between the heim joints do they rotate freely?

The guys I ride with all went with the DHS linkage and had only one problem and it was caused by adjustment. It needs to be adjusted so that your foot isn't touching or putting any pressure on the peddal. We live in Socal so Dan did the install for us and redid my buddies adjustment. Might give them a call

I'm one those guys Tailgunner referenced to, I had a problem, exactly what Big Larry said the joint was loose and binding.

Dan in San Diego looked at it, and installed a new lock nut, problem solved.

Hope this helps you out.

This sentence from Big Larry, applied to my case:

Also check the they are centered and have not become twisted and in a bind from a loose lock nut on the adjuster