My sticky transmission - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My sticky transmission

The linkage is not twisted, but it is much tighter and stiffer than the OEM. I thought it was suppose to be that way. I had this problem when I first install it, but I adjusted and tweaked it out and got it working. But with the heat, it has reappeared. Again, in normal riding there is no problem, but sitting in traffic (btw---note to self, "never go to mountains on July 4th weekend again") it pops up every time.

You have to grab and hold it firmly to twist the linkage.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Update

I did not have a problem yesterday until I drove into city traffic and stop lights. I did stop to put on my rain gear and left the bike running for about 2 minutes and it hung in gear for every shift so I am now sure it is connected with heat buildup.i guess I will call when I get home tomorrow.

There is an OEM on eBay off a 2001. Will it fit? They look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    I did not have a problem yesterday until I drove into city traffic and stop lights. I did stop to put on my rain gear and left the bike running for about 2 minutes and it hung in gear for every shift so I am now sure it is connected with heat buildup.i guess I will call when I get home tomorrow.

There is an OEM on eBay off a 2001. Will it fit? They look the same.
    Easy to tell, look up a 2001 and the 2014 part numbers on line. Here is one of the sources I use http://www.servicehonda.com/ Just guessing, but I'd say they are the same

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Easy to tell, look up a 2001 and the 2014 part numbers on line. Here is one of the sources I use http://www.servicehonda.com/ Just guessing, but I'd say they are the same
    Not the same

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Not the same
    Thanks Tim, I had not looked them up.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Here is a new development!!!!!

Thanks for the information on the year compatibility fellas. Today was a straight shot home on the highway so there were no problems---not even once did it hang up. But as I was driving into the garage, I let out kind of quick on the clutch and heard a very noticeable "clank" from the bottom of the bike. If I let out easy, there is no noise, but every single time I do it quickly---it clanks!!!! There does seem to be some play from the shifter, but nothing more than when the stock setup was being used. Already had a shower and starting the grill, so I am not crawling under the bike today, but does this happen to any of your bikes?

Just got off the phone with DHS Racing

They are sending me a new linkage at no charge. They acknowledge some issues due to a manufacturing problem with their supplier where they are pressed too tight before being riveted together. I am not the first person to have this happen. They are a great company to deal with. I will report back later.

Used to replace the stock linkage on Harleys with Heim joints because the stockers had a tendency to fall apart.
    Some would start to bind as they got dirty so I would use a bolt and a drill with lapping compound to loosen them up a little. Made for much better shifting.

Got my new linkage yesterday and installed it today. The new linkage is much more flexible than my original. WOW--what a difference. The tranny shifts better than it ever has. Very silky smooth and not a problem to be found. I guess that was the difference. Life is good, once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Got my new linkage yesterday and installed it today. The new linkage is much more flexible than my original. WOW--what a difference. The tranny shifts better than it ever has. Very silky smooth and not a problem to be found. I guess that was the difference. Life is good, once again.
    Very glad to hear that it wasn't something internal!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce