Update on Dwight - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Update on Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    My two cents for what it is worth. IF, you are the leader (Ride Captian) on a group ride, YOU! are responsible for the group! I don't care if it's one, two, three or forty bikes and riders. It is part of YOUR job to keep the group together and to NOT ride off and leave them! If you want to ride fast, do it by yourself and not on group function days, events and rides! If you cannot restrain yourself, then you are not the one to lead a group ride.
    +100

First good post in this thread. Otherwise its all about finger pointing and ass covering.

Ride safe.

First of all I believe in the 3 R’s…

Respect others:

Respect yourself:

And be responsible for your own actions…

Yes, Road Captains have a role in leading a group, yes they should wait at a intersection when changing direction. No one else is responsible for YOUR right wrist. Period. We can all Monday morning quarter back this incident. The fact still remains that Dewight made a poor decision and NO ONE is responsible for that decision but himself!. Period. Now in this litigious society someone is always suing someone for something. That does not mean they are right or that justice was served. Not hardly.
    Dewight came to me and stated, “ I like to ride fast”. I stated that Big Dawg and Miles would be going ahead of the group in what was called a “ spirited ride “. It was his decision and his choice that landed him in this circumstance. I personally find this post in poor taste as Dewight can not defend his actions. Having said that, I have seldom met someone who was truthful as far as their ability to do anything! YOU will never convince someone that their path in life is not correct. Everybody thinks they are leading their life as best it can be…the fact that you can see it as a train wreck means nothing to the person!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I can tell you that from my positioning in the very small pack of riders that was riding a "spirited" ride...well up ahead of the larger group that was taking the ride a little easier...Big Dawg did nothing wrong...nothing at all...in leading this small group. He gave correct turnsignal directions when needed, he gave verbal instructions when needed, and he told us to "ride our own ride", and not over-ride our abilities. Big Dawg did his utmost to make sure I was always in sight...in his mirrors, and that was an easy task, as I was close enough to read his VIN on his bike, most of the time. I was spending as much time watching my own mirrors to keep an eye on Dwight, as I was in watching what was in front of me, as I wanted to make sure I could at least see Dwights' headlights as I went around curves.

I ask all of you, politely, please do not place any blame at on on Big Dawg as the ride leader, as he did what he was supposed to do. I also say...politely, there is no one on this forum that has as much road time and mileage on bikes as I do, and I can say from a vast amount of experience...Big Dawg did what he was supposed to. When he arrived at the bottom of the hill, at a stop sign, and I pulled up next to him within 1.314159 seconds, we both waited for NO more than 10 seconds, and knew that if Dwight had not caught us within that 10 seconds, something was wrong. We both said..."something is wrong"...and after another 10 seconds, I said I am going back to look for him. There was NO hesitation for Big Dawg to join me in returning. We both lit up the road, to find the accident scene.

This was in fact...on Dwight. We all wish him a speedy recovery.

Please, let's move forward.

Well it appears I missed all the bad news. I suppose that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Speedy recovery to all those in need, and particularly Dwight in this thread.
    You fellas be careful out there....... T