GPS ADVICE - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS ADVICE

I have been looking for a Zumo gps for quite some time. Read threw reviews and looked at different units and am just as confused as I was a year ago. The general consensus seems to be that they are over priced and prone to many issues. W/the ability to use a memory stick, Ipod or phone for music I don't see a need for a music player, don't need traffic updates or weather, the tire monitoring system would be nice but not a necessity for me. I have been looking at the refurbished 665 , 550 and even the 590. Will have to make a decision soon.

I went through the same thing and ended up with the Navigon iPhone app. Works great and is only $60! Add an Otterbox for weather proofing and your'e still way ahead of the game. Check 'em out…

http://www.navigon.com/portal/us/pro...are/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I have been looking for a Zumo gps for quite some time. Read threw reviews and looked at different units and am just as confused as I was a year ago. The general consensus seems to be that they are over priced and prone to many issues. W/the ability to use a memory stick, Ipod or phone for music I don't see a need for a music player, don't need traffic updates or weather, the tire monitoring system would be nice but not a necessity for me. I have been looking at the refurbished 665 , 550 and even the 590. Will have to make a decision soon.
    The older Zumo's are not a bad buy at all as long as you set your expectations accordingly and factor in future memory requirements for map updates.

I bought a regular garmin w/ lifetime updates for around $100 and a weatherproof case from ebay for $30, mounted it on the handlebar and was done.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyarddog View Post
    I bought a regular garmin w/ lifetime updates for around $100 and a weatherproof case from ebay for $30, mounted it on the handlebar and was done.
    Did that w/an old Nuvi, just had a problem seeing the screen in the sun.

I find the nuvi 2597LMT acceptable in the sun depending on mount angle. $150 on Amazon.

I recently began creating routes using basecamp and the many files available for download on local riding sites. Both of my trips over the weekend took twice as long and were twice as fun

Thanks all ... Great information ... Picked up the Garmin Zumo 595LM ...

Quote Originally Posted by WIRED2 View Post
    Thanks all ... Great information ... Picked up the Garmin Zumo 595LM ...
    Agonized over which one to go with. Ride w/a group, took a 10 day vacation to Yellowstone last year and Pa. and Up of Mich earlier this month, the Prez is the Gps wizard and we follow. Predominately needed a gps to find addresses not interested in planning routes and all that other stuff. Looked at the 595 but didn't want to spend the $, went w/the 390lm refurbished, much of the same as 595 but not, will be happy, came today, upgraded maps this morning, working on installing now. Good luck w/yours !!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    I ran into an interesting unforeseen issue with my Garmin Zumo 660. It's the first generation 660 and has been a super reliable unit as far as build and features go. I am happy with the unit overall.

Recently I decided to buy a lifetime map subscription instead of upgrading the whole unit. The hiccup I encountered with my first map update since purchasing the subscription is that there is not enough room on the unit itself to hold all the newest map files. I needed to use the micro SD card to hold the map files update. That meant some of the music files I put on the micro SD had to go to make room. I think it also means that running files from the card may be a little slower. The unit does "seem" to be a bit sluggish now, but I haven't measured read speeds, so it might be all in my mind.

The moral of the story is when purchasing a "Lifetime Maps" GPS unit today check to see how much storage is on the actual unit itself to accommodate future updates. You don't want to run out of storage too soon. I think the more internal storage you can get, the better.
    Unsub, there might be a way around this issue. I had the same problem with a Garmin Nuvi years ago and found a link that walked a user through deleting unnecessary files such as language files etc that you don't need. Doing a search on the web should help you find it. I would recommend doing a backup of your Zumo before wiping anything out though.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

GARMIN 595lm

All I can say is buy it