First screw job - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First screw job

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I sure do understand the thought proses and peace of mind of replace the tire if anything other than ideal circumstances, and I truly am NOT trying to down play anyone's thoughts. Although I am curious as to what some folks think will happen to a plugged tire? Is it the feeling that the tire will somehow rip open from the hole that was made by the screw? or that the tire will spit out the plug and go flat in an instant and cause a crash?

Just wondering ????
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    DMAGOLDRDR, I'm not gonna lecture anyone else on what they should do...but to answer your question, I don't have to answer what I "think" can happen to a plugged tire. I can SHOW you.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...ires-are-safer
    Let's not solely blame the plug for this unfortunate incident. As you had described in your other thread, the high heat buildup from continued operation at low air pressure caused the tire's failure.

A failed interior tire patch could have precipitated this same unfortunate event.

I have never had a string type plug fail on a tire. I do not like the Plug N Go type plugging devices.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

5 hour round trip. All kinds of night work, and the final straw was right at home where we have a 6 lane bridge down to one lane each way. It's done and tire will be mounted soon. That's all I care about right now! Thanks again
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Maybe I can come up with the first Continental kit for an F6b...this is an older crowd, they'll get it.
    That's a good idea Wayne. Big ole chrome rim hanging off the azz of my baby...........

I was asked early on in the thread if I've ever seen a plug fail and I said I have, where it leaked later on. People have come in with three or four plugs in one hole then want a miracle fix. My shop doesn't plug car tires for that reason. Sometimes, the plug doesn't follow the same hole as the original one and you create two holes on the inside. No clue what happened here. You were lucky you didn't get hurt with that zipper tear. Definitely from low air and heat as you said. Mine never leaked and held firm, but obviously, yours didn't. Glad to see nothing serious came from this.

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. I just finished installing a Bridgestone DriveGuard Runflat a couple hours ago. It was a bite to get in there. I tried at first with 34psi in it and used the Honda method-I took the rear panel off. It was very easy. However the tire didn't want to go in. So I let the air out and removed the valve core. I still couldn't get it to clear. Then had to take the left exhaust sleeve off. That allowed it to be maneuvered up into place.

I hope I get good life/performance out of this tire. Although I'd try a car tire again, I'm not sure my next tire will be a runflat.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Let's not solely blame the plug for this unfortunate incident. As you had described in your other thread, the high heat buildup from continued operation at low air pressure caused the tire's failure.

A failed interior tire patch could have precipitated this same unfortunate event.

I have never had a string type plug fail on a tire. I do not like the Plug N Go type plugging devices.
    No argument here, Will. I've used the Stop N Go on two previous occasions without fail on my Valkyries. I just got my car tire mounted tonight, so hope for incident free driving.

Since I now have a run flat, I think I'll soon invest in a Bluetooth tpm.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    No argument here, Will. I've used the Stop N Go on two previous occasions without fail on my Valkyries. I just got my car tire mounted tonight, so hope for incident free driving.

Since I now have a run flat, I think I'll soon invest in a Bluetooth tpm.
    I'm hoping that I had my one accident and now my one flat tire!

Kinda stinks....the balance beads and metal valve stems I ordered won't be in until Tuesday and I'm mounting the tire tonight. Going to line up the yellow dot with the valve stem and hope for the best. Might be a rough trip to PA, but maybe I'll luck out. 7 days to ship...

Kinda stinks....the balance beads and metal valve stems I ordered won't be in until Tuesday and I'm mounting the tire tonight. Going to line up the yellow dot with the valve stem and hope for the best. Might be a rough trip to PA, but maybe I'll luck out. 7 days to ship...

Just for a FYI side note....
    Be careful with the balance beads, a few (very few) have had issues with the beads getting stuck inside the valve stem and when you check your PSI a bead gets stuck and the valve stem leaks. After checking PSI always dribble a bit of water, spit ect.. to check the stem.
    Two friends have gone to "Ride On" for just that issue.

I use nothing so I have no personal experience other than one friend having said leak.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Just for a FYI side note....
    Be careful with the balance beads, a few (very few) have had issues with the beads getting stuck inside the valve stem and when you check your PSI a bead gets stuck and the valve stem leaks. After checking PSI always dribble a bit of water, spit ect.. to check the stem.
    Two friends have gone to "Ride On" for just that issue.

I use nothing so I have no personal experience other than one friend having said leak.
    I always do the spit test, and if I ride this thing and don't feel anything, I won't touch it again. That's what I'm hoping for. I was hoping to spin it on our balancer, but the center hole is too small.

shooter
    Four freaking pages of you crying about getting screwed. These guys have coddled you and held your hand during the whole ordeal. Its time to ride. Get on it.