Trip to Jackson Hole Wyoming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Jackson Hole Wyoming.

Trip to Jackson Hole Wyoming.

the end of August I will be riding from Sacramento CA to Jackson Wyoming by way of 395 through Oregon, then over to Boise before going on to Jackson. I have been on a part of northern 395 but not through Oregon. Is it scenic or just desert? Any problems finding gas?

Just make sure you bring a credit card with you as there are unmanned gas stations, in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, that only take credit cards.

395 through Oregon is high desert and will be really hot in August.
    Make sure you fuel up every chance you get and stay hydrated.
    The other two options are US 97 and US 197, through Crater Lake to Bend - Redmond, then to the Columbia River. Ride east on either the Washington or Oregon side. Then cut north on us 26 from Mtn Home , Idaho. 26 drops you into Jackson on the west side. This route is most scenic.
    I'm actally on the road now ( waiting out a storm in Billings)and we wI'll back track to Oregon this way from Cody - Yellowstone to Jackson.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    395 through Oregon is high desert and will be really hot in August.
    Make sure you fuel up every chance you get and stay hydrated.
    The other two options are US 97 and US 197, through Crater Lake to Bend - Redmond, then to the Columbia River. Ride east on either the Washington or Oregon side. Then cut north on us 26 from Mtn Home , Idaho. 26 drops you into Jackson on the west side. This route is most scenic.
    I'm actally on the road now ( waiting out a storm in Billings)and we wI'll back track to Oregon this way from Cody - Yellowstone to Jackson.
    Learned something new today, there are unmanned gas stations, in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Also I see post about fueling in Oregon- that reminded me of something. This dumb Florida Boy flew out to Oregon to see my daughter in law, family -etc. I rent a car and drive a few days and go to get gas, I pull up to pump, put credit card in reader and pick up nozzle and start putting fuel in car and this guy (attendant) starts running out and yelling at me -stop putting fuel in!!!! Come to find out after he calmed down and myself also (you would have thought I setting the place on fire or something) -tells me its a law in Oregon that you can't fuel your own car - they have to do it for you. Thought I would pass this info on for the 1st timers to that state.
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    Learned something new today, there are unmanned gas stations, in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Also I see post about fueling in Oregon- that reminded me of something. This dumb Florida Boy flew out to Oregon to see my daughter in law, family -etc. I rent a car and drive a few days and go to get gas, I pull up to pump, put credit card in reader and pick up nozzle and start putting fuel in car and this guy (attendant) starts running out and yelling at me -stop putting fuel in!!!! Come to find out after he calmed down and myself also (you would have thought I setting the place on fire or something) -tells me its a law in Oregon that you can't fuel your own car - they have to do it for you. Thought I would pass this info on for the 1st timers to that state.
    Never heard of a place without a self-serve fuel option unless a tiny gas station in "lower Podunk." Interesting indeed and good to know. Would have done the same thing myself. Can't say I'd trust some of the gas jockeys to fuel my bike without spilling, dripping or causing some other angst!

Oregon and New Jersey, I believe, are the only 2 states you can't pump your own gas. When I say unmanned I mean there is no option. You pull up and there is a pump that takes credit cards, that's it. A Port-O-San next to the shuttered and padlocked building and a vending machine outside for water, so bring singles, period.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Oregon and New Jersey, I believe, are the only 2 states you can't pump your own gas. When I say unmanned I mean there is no option. You pull up and there is a pump that takes credit cards, that's it. A Port-O-San next to the shuttered and padlocked building and a vending machine outside for water, so bring singles, period.
    Thought I was back in Catholic school when Sister Ramey smacked my hands.....I made the mistake of grabbing a pump several years ago in Jersey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    I kept forgetting that rule in Jersey.
    I would tell the attendant that I would video him fueling Isleen and if he touched the hose/nozzle anywhere on the bike, my lawyer would be suing him for any damages to the bike and court costs.
    Or, I could fuel it myself and he could take a supervisory position.
    Option #2 was ALWAYS chosen.....
    Amazing how that worked.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I kept forgetting that rule in Jersey.
    I would tell the attendant that I would video him fueling Isleen and if he touched the hose/nozzle anywhere on the bike, my lawyer would be suing him for any damages to the bike and court costs.
    Or, I could fuel it myself and he could take a supervisory position.
    Option #2 was ALWAYS chosen.....
    Amazing how that worked.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Even gas pumpers understand the riot act when they hear it.

In Oregon,
    State law allows you to fill your own MC.
    And any vehicles through commercial fueling netwotks.

State law provides an attendant to fill non commercial cars, trucks and gas - diesel cans.

We think it's stupid too, and our gas prices are among the highest in the country, but it provides employment and we used to say it all washed out ok with no sales tax.
    Not so much anymore. Gas taxes drive much of Oregon revenue so gas is just expensive..

Most are young, first job kids, whom are pretty respectful and courteous.

Gas- Diesel fuel pumps in the middle of Wyo are part of Nation wide commercial fueling networks like Pacific Pride, CFN, ect. I'll verify on our way through the next few days.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe