Playing with tires and their performance differences
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with tires and their performance differences

Playing with tires and their performance differences

I ran a Kumho on my Wing for a very long time and it did extremely well I wanted to play with other tires on the F6. I started off with a Bridgestone Potenza run flat in the 195/55-16, first off the run flats are really hard to mount! Such stiff side walls make for a stiff tire and the riding performance was so-so. Air pressure is super critical on the run flat to make it feel right (28psi) and maybe not all but the Bridgestone is a "groove tracker" and wants the bike to follow every rut and groove in the road, not bad but a little weird feeling. What made me pull it off was a problem I had when somehow I managed to get a section of rope wrapped up all around the swingarm and brake rotor, don't ask how cause I still don't know?? Anyway the 195/55 size tire will not come out the back without removing the left side muffler which left me along side the road with the bike in many pieces trying to get that damn rope out!

Next tire was a Goodyear Assurance fuel max size 175/60-16 and that tire is NOT a run flat. Went on the rim easy (after fighting the run flat off) and easily goes on and off the bike right out the back as intended. The Goodyear tracks the road well and needs more air pressure to not seem mushy, ended up at 41 psi. This tire does not track any ruts or grooves but the RPM's are a little higher all across the range (smaller diameter tire) and while this would be of great benefit to guy's towing trailers I did not much care for the slightly higher RPM's.

The 3rd tire I tried and seems to be the winner overall and the one i'm going to stick with is a Toyo Proxes non run flat size 185/60-16. This tire is hard to find as Toyo is the only company making one in this size (that I found). Awesome tire, tracks great and almost matches the stock tire size for the F6. The GPS and speedo are dead on. I think the RPM's might be a tiny bit lower across the range and not verified but I think my mileage is up? Tire pressure ended up at 41 psi on this tire as well and this tire will also go in and out the back for changing. This is my take on three different tires so take what you want from this and try what you like just be safe!
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Very interesting at a $101+shipping... is this the tire?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=86HR6PXA27

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Yes, that's the one. So far I have about 600 miles on it and i'm pretty impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Yes, that's the one. So far I have about 600 miles on it and i'm pretty impressed with it.
    Thanks, and I'll be looking for a report when you have a few thousand miles on it.

Big Larry, didn't you have a tire with a nail hole that you were worried about getting somewhere with it? Did you end up going to a run flat replacement tire? I missed a few posts & was wondering how you cured the problem.
    Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzzPhotos View Post
    Big Larry, didn't you have a tire with a nail hole that you were worried about getting somewhere with it? Did you end up going to a run flat replacement tire? I missed a few posts & was wondering how you cured the problem.
    Buzz

Nope, not me. I have not had any issue with my tires other than them wearing out a lot faster than I think they should.

1500 mile update on the Toyo tire. Still running the air pressure up a pound at a time till I find the sweet spot, up to 43 psi now and that seems real good. Mileage on the bike is up and i'm now getting 256 miles from "low fuel light" to "low fuel light" that is a great addition to way longer tire life. Tire is showing no signs of abnormal wear, will repot back after more miles. Thinking I need to get another one of these tires to keep around.............

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    1500 mile update on the Toyo tire. Still running the air pressure up a pound at a time till I find the sweet spot, up to 43 psi now and that seems real good. Mileage on the bike is up and i'm now getting 256 miles from "low fuel light" to "low fuel light" that is a great addition to way longer tire life. Tire is showing no signs of abnormal wear, will repot back after more miles. Thinking I need to get another one of these tires to keep around.............
    Spares are always nice to have on hand

DSC_0003.jpg

Mounted one today and just got through putting it on.
    The contact patch at 43 lbs looks just about right to me.
    Once the weather breaks here, I'll put some miles on and see how it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Between the rain we've had here, a week up at the U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis and now the "love bug season", I finally got to put some miles on the new Toyo today.
    So far, so good. It tracks and handles well. I also put a Bridgestone BattleAx BT-45 on the front and went out and scrubbed both of these in today. This tire puts the speedo dead on.
    I compared it to my GPS and they were identical throughout the entire speed range that I ran today.
    We'll see how these hold up loaded 2-up on the trip to the Rally.