Playing with tires and their performance differences - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with tires and their performance differences

I now have 1300 miles on this tire and it's performed very well. Average fuel mileage is around 42.7 with it and over 250 miles between fill ups. The tire got me to the rally and back along with riding in some very serious twisties without any issues. It will be interesting to see how many miles it will go before needing replacement. So far, so good.

I ended up at 43 psi in mine and that seems to be the sweet spot for this tire on the F6. Really the only time I can tell any difference at all is in the long sweeping curves that have rain grooves, the tire just slightly wants to track those grooves while it's leaned over. I bet that is because of the contact patch is narrowing as the tire leans over but it never feels "loose" at any time. I have since ordered a second Toyo to keep back as a spare.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Lean Angle Tire Contact Patches

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    I ended up at 43 psi in mine and that seems to be the sweet spot for this tire on the F6. Really the only time I can tell any difference at all is in the long sweeping curves that have rain grooves, the tire just slightly wants to track those grooves while it's leaned over. I bet that is because of the contact patch is narrowing as the tire leans over but it never feels "loose" at any time. I have since ordered a second Toyo to keep back as a spare.
    Thanks Wing'n it I Went Darkside Thanks for all the advice, Got the Toyo Proxes A27 put on today. Took your advice and put 43 psi. in and went for a short 30 mile ride. Looks like clearance wont be a problem. The tire feels great to me, got in some twisties too. My back tire before was the Bridgestone G704 and I only got 12,000 miles out of it. The stock G704 I got 15,000 miles hmmm curious what the new Toyo will do. Nice meeting a lot of you F6B riders at the rally in Russelville this year. Ride safe.

I went with the General G-Max, 195/55/16. I run 42lbs. I went with 12 oz. of ride-on, it makes the tire a run flat and keeps it in balance constantly. I did about a thousand miles before the Rally and 4000 miles getting to and back from the Rally. I am liking the feel it gives on the road. I do feel it pull me into the truck tracks near red lights where the blacktop is wore in. Nothing I can't handle or live with. Did some very nice twisties in Arkansas, and never felt I was on a car tire or my life was in danger. I rode to Arkansas with Reservebum who is running ( I believe ) stock pipes, I am running Rush pipe with 2.5 baffles with Torq Loops. My bike was a little bit heavier on the road due to over packing, but we were pretty constant on fuel with him beating me by 2/10s of a gallon per fill up. Empty I was a 10th better or even with him.

All in all I am very satisfied with the choice I made. Next change will be the Battle Ax in the front

Thanks for all the info on this subject which turned me into a darksider.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    I went with the General G-Max, 195/55/16. I run 42lbs. I went with 12 oz. of ride-on, it makes the tire a run flat and keeps it in balance constantly. I did about a thousand miles before the Rally and 4000 miles getting to and back from the Rally. I am liking the feel it gives on the road. I do feel it pull me into the truck tracks near red lights where the blacktop is wore in. Nothing I can't handle or live with. Did some very nice twisties in Arkansas, and never felt I was on a car tire or my life was in danger. I rode to Arkansas with Reservebum who is running ( I believe ) stock pipes, I am running Rush pipe with 2.5 baffles with Torq Loops. My bike was a little bit heavier on the road due to over packing, but we were pretty constant on fuel with him beating me by 2/10s of a gallon per fill up. Empty I was a 10th better or even with him.

All in all I am very satisfied with the choice I made. Next change will be the Battle Ax in the front

Thanks for all the info on this subject which turned me into a darksider.
    Jeff
    Jeff:

Nice report on your experience with the G-Max! Once you get accustomed to its handling there's "no going back"! I'm currently on my second one and have a few spares left. I may follow your lead on the "Ride On" on my next tire change and completely eliminate the need to "static balance" and "wheel weights".

Ride Safe

bob109

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    Thanks Wing'n it I Went Darkside Thanks for all the advice, Got the Toyo Proxes A27 put on today. Took your advice and put 43 psi. in and went for a short 30 mile ride. Looks like clearance wont be a problem. The tire feels great to me, got in some twisties too. My back tire before was the Bridgestone G704 and I only got 12,000 miles out of it. The stock G704 I got 15,000 miles hmmm curious what the new Toyo will do. Nice meeting a lot of you F6B riders at the rally in Russelville this year. Ride safe.
    That Toyo tire is the absolute closest to the original size back tire you can find. After my bad experience getting rope untangled from the rear wheel and not being able to get the 195/55 tire out the back I'm sticking with the narrower tire. No way I'm going to lay my bike over on the side of the road to get the tire and wheel out. The rope was a fluke and I couldn't do it again on a bet but it was a learning experience for sure. BTW make sure a razor knife is part of your tool kit!!
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike