Wish list for next gen Gold Wing/F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wish list for next gen Gold Wing/F6B

Quote Originally Posted by soupbean View Post
    - DCT transmission ? I know I'll probably get thrashed for even mentioning this , but I believe it's more than likely a done deal that the next gen Goldwing will have this available as an option. Currently I do not own a F6B , but hope to be a proud owner of a matte grey before the end of summer. My 2010 VFR 1200fd has the dual clutch , it's a very different riding experience. When I bought this bike five years ago wasn't really looking for a VFR but the technology , DCT , engine , brakes , chassis required me to do an extremely long term evaluation. Mine has the 1st gen DCT and it's been updated twice since. The newest variation can be found on the new Africa Twin and VFR 1200x . Works very well in a high horsepower-torque bike , not sure about the lower powered bikes Honda offers it with.
    Put me down as an interested party in a DCT...
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

You hit all of the big ones. I would add:

- Internet radio driven from the console, with pause, skip, and vol on the bar.
    - Better crash bars, the ones on the B will bend easy if pulled certain ways.
    - Better learning capabilities based installed options, and driver behavior. The computer is pretty dumb now.
    - Li-Ion or Li-Poly battery.
    - Integrated TPM.
    - Oil and other fluid monitoring (when you need to change).

One of the concepts that has circulated is a Hybrid Gold Wing with a flat 4 1200 cc engine augmented with electric motors. That could be interesting, but probably costly for sure. If I was dreaming, I'd like to see variable valve timing putinto the 1800 flt six. WOuld allow for the similar wide power band we all love but offer the increased horsepower many of us would willingly encourage.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Jimmy tee nailed it. Variable valves and timing will serve both concerns. I'm up for 20 HP more and bumping the rev limit. Gadgets should be options.

Safety items, bright led lights front and rear should be standard. I can see a DCT for people that commute in the city or just want the simplicity of it.

I would like to see different levels of the F6B like the Goldwing has, also a removable trunk like Patch is currently working. The things I miss the most on my 2013 F6B is cruise control and a rockin sound system like my Harley had.

Wish List Part Duex!

Honda seems to have lost its way, so I am hoping someday they pay attention to what A) The other manufacturers are doing, and B) They listen to the riders!

My F6B is a 2015, while I owned the new "re-designed" Japan built Goldwing, which was a 2012. I have a current total of 38 motorcycles owned, and plan on making that 50 before my riding days are over.

The GL1800 still has a following, but I know many dealers are losing sales to Indian, the BMW K1600Lt, and the Harley Ultra, because they feature newer technology such as bluetooth connectivity, and the Harley even has a touch-screen!

I have heard that the Goldwing is being evaluated for a redesign, and the 4 cylinder has a turbo to make the torque/horsepower that many 1800 owners like. When they "re-designed" the 2012 Goldwing, they took a survey and tried to keep as many good things the owners liked, such as the six cylinder, and the luggage capacity, etc.

However, Honda has been a dog in the marketplace for what they once dominated the big touring bikes. My question is - why can't they make a high technology bike...thought Honda built a freaking robot that could walk, yet they can't build a throttle by wire with precision digital cruise control?

Here is what I would like for a new 2017 Goldwing. First, an electronically adjustable windshield...like BMW has had since 1992! Digital cruise control with throttle by wire, bluetooth, and a touchscreen easily visible display like the Harley has. LED headlights, tail lights, etc. The turbo-4 opposed engine would be fine, make at least 100 lbs torque + 100 plus horsepower. More room to move behind the fairing, right! Please...give me a six speed like BMW, Harley, and Indian/Victory has! I like my engine to be in the sweet spot for 75 mph touring, nice lower rpm cadence. An electrical automatic adjustable suspension that senses load, and adjust the front and rear suspension based on sag once the big is started. ABS/Traction control STANDARD across the board for safety please!

I know...it all cost money and would raise the price of the GoldWing, but what has me scratching my head, is that the GoldWing price is very similar to the before mentioned brands...and since 1988, not much as really changed on the bike!

This one has a lot of what the OP is looking for in gadgets.

Attachment 22236

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    This one has a lot of what the OP is looking for in gadgets.

Attachment 22236
    That's an Indian touring bike, right?

I actually had the Vic CC Tour as my #1 choice most of last summer as I took my time researching, thinking, processing about a $20k bike purchase. It had several of the items on my wish list in my original post. I test drove one in Oct. 2015 and fell in love as soon I laid eyes on it. Then I rode it. The vibration through the seat and handlebars, lack of precision with instruments and controls, and the bathtub-like seating position caused me to cut the test drive short, making up my mind within a mile. I would imagine the Indian is similar - love the looks, but I have concerns about comfort, quality, etc. My #2 choice was the F6B and I ended up buying one later that October day.

One other point that probably contradicts my own statements: The simplicity of the flat six (SOHC, two valves per cylinder, cable throttle, etc) is what makes it so damn reliable. Same thing with the basic 5-speed tranny and shaft drive and the very rudimentary audio and electronics systems. Everything they add (including my list), adds complexity and potential gremlins. I would be happy with a balance of gadgets and upgrades,PREFERABLY with technology that Honda has already mastered in their automotive, marine, aircraft, etc divisions. I think the cruise and ABS are proven on the bigger Wing; the sixth gear is not a complexity; their cars have used VVT and DOHC engines successfully for decades ( I bet they could match the 118 hp using a more sophisticated flat four; for me, the biggest issue is giving more leg room to the rider, plus better mpg!).

The current Wing lineup is a very basic, out of date, but bulletproof reliable. The three year warranty period confirms that, IMO.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Mother Hondas Secrets

Before retirement I was involved in research and development for one of the big three auto manufacturers and I can tell you that from the design process thru the engineering process to the production process takes three to five years for new models. I don't expect the motorcycle industry to be any different. The bottom line, whatever mother Honda is rolling out for 2017 was decided a long time ago. Job 1 for new model production is usually in July, so in all likelihood, 2017 GL's are already rolling off the production line in Japan. How they keep these things away from the motorcycle media until their official "new model introduction" is a good question.

Transportation industry trends seem to be geared towards higher efficiency / lower displacement power plants. I believe that Honda may follow suit in motorcycle production as well, possibly offering a DCT into the GL family of bikes along with a lower displacement engine option. You can wish all you like for a lot of design improvements but Honda's marketing decisions are based in large part on federal laws / national standards in the various countries they marked their bikes in. For example, that's why you see the F6B in AUS with both reverse and ABS, while in Canada ABS only and here in the U.S., neither option. Personally, I'd like to have all the above but mother Honda had decided, for profitability reasons and no federal mandates, not to market this stuff in the U.S., but until something significantly better appears on the horizon, I'm staying with my six.

Before retirement I was involved in research and development for one of the big three auto manufacturers and I can tell you that from the design process thru the engineering process to the production process takes three to five years for new models.
    Very true. Same thing with snowmobiles, another recreational industry that I have engaged in the marketplace of for nearly two decades.

Bear with me here...the Gold Wing market is very similar to the snowmobile market. The snowmobile industry only sells 150,000 units worldwide. They have to be very careful with their product development funds. Here is something that has changed in the last decade: investing millions into ONE sophisticated chassis that is conducive to multiple applications, rather than a separate chassis for different users. Ski Doo last fully re-designed their current XS chassis in 2008 (it was updated in 2015). You can find this chassis across their vast lineup of snowmobiles. Same thing with engine development. Ski Doo has over 100 different models/trim lines...but they have one chassis and five engines total.

Manufacturers are doing this more and more often. Invest heavily in a multi-faceted chassis that has many applications. But what is Honda to do with the Gold Wing? Honda is not going to invest heavily very often in a new platform because it is really an isolated model lineup with its own unique engine and technology. Sure, the GW has been out for 15 years...but...have they sold enough of them to pay off the design, engineering, and tooling required to build it in the first place? Especially with the transfer of production to Japan? That couldn't have been cheap.

This is the dilemma - Honda is a for-profit company who happens to make products you appreciate. However, the bottom line drives their mission and goals. However, they need your passion to sell bikes.

If they are going to re-design this bike, it is going to be expensive for them and without certainty that it will pay off. Seems as though the biggest market is Dual Sport and Adventure bikes right now, and the usual V-Twin cruiser crowd. Seems as though that's where they will invest. Again, the GW market is isolated and small, like the snowmobile market. That flat six cannot be used elsewhere. Same thing with sleds - there is very little overlap in snowmobile engine applications to other products, though Ski Doo found a home for their 90 hp four-stroke triple in their Sea Doo lineup. They made this bike for you guys and its gonna take awhile to pay off the investment to make it for you. I think they built the F6B and Valkyrie in an attempt to expand the platform and engineering into other markets to spread out its costs.

Also, like Yamaha, Honda is a giant Japanese company...and very conservative in their investments and product development. That's a huge factor.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6