Rider Magazine...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rider Magazine...

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I can only quoit one of the response to the article which I happen to agree with.

Norm Spafard

June 20, 2012

"Having been around the block a time or two the only part of Eric’s article that has any substance is the first paragraph, which like a few other subjects will only bring out the worst and for unfortunate reasons. Not currently a DS’r there are a few points I take issue with on a diatribe such as this.

First it is difficult to embrace such an article when it is presented so lopsidedly, opinion will never stand up to something well researched. Research in this situation requires something more than a few emails and talks with industry insiders. On example being the presentation of potential insurance issues, I made a quick call to my agent, who is with one of the nations top 3 insurance providers and he understood the issue and stated there was no weight to the potential of not being covered. Research is work and generally requires more than calls and emails. I doubt Rider does nothing less when performing road test and comparisons of equipment.

Secondly, much ado is pushed on performance, exactly what are we talking about here? Aren’t the majority of motorcycle (and cars for that matter) engineered way beyond the max performance the average or even above average rider can use? Even if the average rider had the skills to maximize a bikes performance, where could they do so, not on any of the roads you and I use day in and day out. It seems fairly simple to deduce that even a car tire can handle any performance the general motorcycle population places on the average bike

Thirdly, there was discussion regarding “handling differences”. So what does THAT mean; allow your tires to drop in pressure=handling difference; new tires vs old tires=handling difference; ape-hangers= handling difference, hard tail vs soft tail= handling difference, shoot cruisers vs sport vs touring vs standards = handling differences. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

In conclusion, Eric wraps up saying he had done ‘due diligence’, personally I believe that from the responses here we can see that is far from the truth. Honestly the only thing accomplished here was mouthing the words of marketing insiders, we live in a world consumed with litigation, I doubt you can find one manufacturer of anything that would endorse the use of their particular product for something other than what it was made for. They can’t, it would open up a court room door. The by line of the article uses the word nonconformity, maybe it is about time to look at that word as something to embrace rather than ridicule, if my memory serves that was one of the principles that made this country great. Shoot to most of the driving public motorcycle riders are nonconformists to the max, DS’ing is not for everyone, so be it but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water simply because we heard it was the thing to do. Eric is a better writer than this and I believe that Rider is a better magazine than this, next time either go the full monty and truly do due diligence or allow sleeping dog to lye."

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Funny

Nothing ceases to amaze me these days! I live in a world where everyone else wants to tell me how to live my life. Whether its the right to own a gun, the right for abortion, the church or religious group I belong to, the car I drive, the oil I use, the food I eat, the eateries I frequent, the food I buy, the beer, soda or other alcohol I consume, the shampoo I use etc. etc. etc. Life is about choices and at 67 years old I'm personally not about to cede my rights to anyone! Everyone has a opinion and that is great up until the point they want me to conform to their whims and wishes. Dark Siding is portrayed by the ill informed as being unsafe. It is debated to death by critics who have not a single revolution of a CT on a cycle under their a$$. I'll stop there and simply say that while all the critics continue to debate the DS Subject, I'll continue to rack up miles on my CT's and ignore baseless claims that I'll crash and burn. Upon my demise my headstone will have but the date of my arrival and the date of my departure. The only thing that matters is that little dash - between the two. It the whole of my life

Magazines only stay in business from the revenue brought in by advertisements. It only makes sense for a motorcycle mag to promote ONLY CYCLE tires in their articles. That doesn't mean they are correct on any given issue, just means they are "following their money" to keep in business. I personally ride Dark side on my 6, but cycle tires on my duel-sport.

shooter
    Personally , I've been reading rider magazine for about 8 months. Got the subscription for a Christmas present. It sucks. Its geared toward smaller bikes and adventure bikes and Moto Guzzi bikes. In other words everything but heavy cruisers. I have yet to find an article that related to our bike. If you own an adventure bike or sport tourer you might enjoy it. I think the writing is second rate also. Not putting down other bikes as a lot of us own 2 or more. I just don't think the magazine delivers from a riders standpoint.

Don't bother clicking, it's a reprint of a 4 year old article that was republished only to get clicks, no new info.
    I understand that clicks make money, but this just seems desperate.
    ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Personally , I've been reading rider magazine for about 8 months. Got the subscription for a Christmas present. It sucks. Its geared toward smaller bikes and adventure bikes and Moto Guzzi bikes. In other words everything but heavy cruisers. I have yet to find an article that related to our bike. If you own an adventure bike or sport tourer you might enjoy it. I think the writing is second rate also. Not putting down other bikes as a lot of us own 2 or more. I just don't think the magazine delivers from a riders standpoint.
    +1
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I started reading Rider back in the middle '70's. Back then it was just about the only magazine I could find that recognized the long distance and touring rider as a viable group.

I let my sub die about '85...give or take. Due to professional obligations, I never had time to read it and they were beginning to pile up. Hadn't even looked at an issue for a long time after that.

Picked up a copy here about two or three years ago. It would appear that Rider is not the magazine it once was.

....And that is a pity.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

I've had a subscription in the past and a couple years ago , I had another subscription, that has elapsed.
    No the magazine isn't the same.
    Not trying to defend Rider, but times are different too.
    The last I knew, adventure bike sales were one of the fastest growing segments. I'm sure there is no coincidence that Rider has geared towards a growing segment. Their financials would demand it. Especially in this digital day and age where anything "print media" is on the down turn.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"