Performance parts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance parts

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    To the OP. You can call Don Guhl and get his most extreme flash on your ECU. Along with that a good set of aftermarket pipes and a K&N air filter will net you 10 or 12 HP.
    LOTS of money for 10 - 12 HP! Not worth outlay in my mind. Bike is fast enough, wheelies in 2nd gear, burning rubber in 1st coming off the line. What else is needed? I am happy. It will kill me if I get crazy.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

I don't "get on the throttle" as much as I used to these days, but I can still twist it when wanted...I do not go looking for, but I have yet to run into a HD , stock or beefed up, that I could not blow away either at a stop light or on the highway...I know that there are plenty of bikes out there faster than mine, but I have all the power I need/want with Cobra pipes, and a K&N filter and didn't have to mortgage the house to pay for it.....Ride safe...

shooter
    No such thing as fast enough. Just depends on how bad you want it. You would be surprised at what 10 HP can do for you on this bike. That's 8.5%. Nothing to sneeze at.

Here's the thing...adding bits to increase hp and torque on this bike could be dangerous and a waste of money unless you also make corresponding improvements to handling and braking. The biggest drawback to the "B", IMHO of course, is the lack of cornering clearance. Power and torque, for me, has never been the issue but dragging all the hard parts in the corners has been. If you get really serious about going fast in the twisties, you can quickly get way past the peg feelers and down to the crash bars. No, if it was left up to me, I would be looking more for a lighter F6B with good cornering clearance. No doubt, the most dangerous bike I have ever owned was a tuned Triumph Rocket III. It had incredible power but not the suspension, chassis, or brakes to go with it. I scared myself many times on that one .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Not sure there would be a very big market for performance parts for the GL1800 models, though there is a huge market for non-performance add ons.
    IMHO, people who bought the full dress wing, did so for what it offers, huge trunk, all sorts of touring related "stuff."
    Those who bought the F6B, did so for the same reason, they wanted a model a bit sportier and did not have the need for all of the creature comforts.

You want performance, grab a VMax, or, better yet, get a Kawasaki Ninja H2R, probably no need for more than 326 horsepower on two wheels.

Attachment 22266

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    No such thing as fast enough. Just depends on how bad you want it. You would be surprised at what 10 HP can do for you on this bike. That's 8.5%. Nothing to sneeze at.
    Maybe so for some, but at my age and years of riding, the stock F6B is all I want and need..."speed kills" as they say!!!....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Here's the thing.... No, if it was left up to me, I would be looking more for a lighter F6B with good cornering clearance.
    Yeah, I really want a BMW Concept 101.

Out of Box/Crate Right

I bought the six for two reasons! "Reliability and Dependability"! With enough power to climb most if not all grades without "down shifting" its power is sufficient without the need for "performance add-on"! Getting 40/45 MPG from a 860+LB cruiser which has comfort and ease of handling fills my need for quiet performance in its stock package. Add-ons for comfort, are of course, money well spent IMHO. Mother Honda spent considerable time, effort and money on developing the Gold Wing/F6B motor/drive line which surpasses any of it competitors by leaps and bounds. The ability of a major cycle manufacturer, like Honda, to produce a well balanced, well powered and eye appealing machine is a testament to their "Quality/Design Philosophy".