Taller Rear Tire?

Thread: Taller Rear Tire?

Taller Rear Tire?

A few years ago I was at a motel on Route 66 on my old Valkyrie. I talked to a guy riding a GL1800 who was running a Valkyrie rear tire (180/70-16) in place of the Wing's usual 180/60x16. Depending on the brand, the 70 series tire is about 3/4 of an inch taller, giving you almost a half inch of extra ground clearance in the rear.

Has anyone tried this? Even with the rear suspension dialed up I scrape my pegs easier than I like, so a bit of extra clearance might be a good thing. The 70 series tire is easier to mount, too. I know as I've put dozens on my 2 old Valkyries.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    A few years ago I was at a motel on Route 66 on my old Valkyrie. I talked to a guy riding a GL1800 who was running a Valkyrie rear tire (180/70-16) in place of the Wing's usual 180/60x16. Depending on the brand, the 70 series tire is about 3/4 of an inch taller, giving you almost a half inch of extra ground clearance in the rear.

Has anyone tried this? Even with the rear suspension dialed up I scrape my pegs easier than I like, so a bit of extra clearance might be a good thing. The 70 series tire is easier to mount, too. I know as I've put dozens on my 2 old Valkyries.
    I'd like to do the same thing when I change tires next. Any info would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post

I'm thinking that tire should make my speedo read closer. And my ODO reads off about 3%. Maybe it would take care of that, too.
    Albuquerque, NM

I ran a 70 series on my Wing. My observations were:
    1) It does make the bike sit ever so slightly higher
    2) When on the center stand the tire touched the ground when new
    3) it did correct the speedo
    4) less wiggly in the rain
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

If we just assume some stuff and say the peg is 4" above ground and is 4" long from the center of the frame you would need 45 degrees of lean to obtain scrapeage. If we increase that height by 1" we can now obtain scrapagittity at 38.7 degrees. At 1/2" height increase the angle is now 42 degrees for sparks. So increasing that height will gain you less tar metal contactedness. Go figure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    If we just assume some stuff and say the peg is 4" above ground and is 4" long from the center of the frame you would need 45 degrees of lean to obtain scrapeage. If we increase that height by 1" we can now obtain scrapagittity at 38.7 degrees. At 1/2" height increase the angle is now 42 degrees for sparks. So increasing that height will gain you less tar metal contactedness. Go figure.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I'm running a slightly taller CT (185/60-16) on my F6 and I have noticed an improvement in mileage, adding about 25 miles or so between the low fuel light.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post